What equipment have you bought this week?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
troutbum

Re: What equipment have you bought this week?

Post by troutbum » 06 Dec 2011 13:32

Finger Painter wrote:I obtained a pair of Rega RS5's for a friend over in Spain and they were simply astounding. I'm not usually a fan of most things Rega, but the R5's were something else.

I have since heard them in his house and they are the best sub £1000 speakers I have ever heard, period.

I hope your 3's are every bit as pleasing.
I hope too!
1 1/5hrs then I can bring them home when I get of off work, then another 3hrs before the kids are sleeping. Then playtime! =P~

They will actually replace a pair of Vienna Haydn Grand, and I haven't heard the RS3's so it will be interesting. I bought them used in great condition.

MartinnAngel

Post by MartinnAngel » 08 Dec 2011 08:50

An aurex SC-330 pre-amp and amplifier.

sounds absolutely outstanding!

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 08 Dec 2011 12:30

Hello,
More speakers!!
Pair of B&O S45-2 speakers. A bargain at a local auction this week. A snip at £5. :)
No one else bid! Perhaps the recessed DIN connection put them off? Good condition and a nice ''Rosewood' finish.
According to the Beoworld web pages they seem to be worth a look. Oh dear, does that mean I'll be tempted to keep them!?

Paul

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 09 Dec 2011 06:07

Just took delivery of a Yamaha PX-3 turntable. :D

Cheers,
Alec

Rockethead26

Post by Rockethead26 » 09 Dec 2011 16:15

Well, it's been a long 5 weeks of twenty-three 10 hour days of butt-busting work at a temporary job at the local Amazon.com fullfillment center to be able to make the $$ for the following new toys. It was worth it. My last day was yesterday.

It was finally time to replace my 1986 Haffler DH-200 and upgrade an Adcom GFP-555 that I bought as a place holder for my Haffler preamp that died last year. My Maggie MGII-B speakers and my Sonographe/MMT turntable aren't going anywhere.

In the last three weeks I have bought/ordered the following:

1) Used B&K Ref 200.2 amplifier in beautiful condition (What an upgrade!)
2) NOS Canary CA-200 Passive Preamp (for my tuner and CD player)
3) NOS EAR 834P phono stage (On its way)
4) New phono cable from Ultimate Cables (Ordered)
5) Three new Signal Cable "Analog Two" interconnects (Ordered)
6) Two PSVANE 127AX matched tubes and one 12AX7 Amperex Bugle Boy for my EAR after I break in the stock tubes (Ordered)

I think I am set for a very long time. I never want to work a job like that again. :D

dualref

Post by dualref » 09 Dec 2011 19:56

The only thing I bought this week was a pack of 100 new dust covers to replace the ones that were falling apart within my record albums. And a bottle of LAST to clean the stylus tip.

Hey, I think you'll really like those B&O S45-2 speakers. I have a pair of the S-75's and I was quite impressed at how good they sound. Those rosewood cabinets will really look great if you use some linseed oil on them periodically. Just make sure they do not get direct sunlight on them and keep them free from dust.

These B&O speakers are usually overlooked by people and can be had for very reasonable prices. IMHO, they are very underestimated in terms of performance.

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 10 Dec 2011 01:10

dualref wrote:Hey, I think you'll really like those B&O S45-2 speakers. I have a pair of the S-75's and I was quite impressed at how good they sound. Those rosewood cabinets will really look great if you use some linseed oil on them periodically. Just make sure they do not get direct sunlight on them and keep them free from dust.

These B&O speakers are usually overlooked by people and can be had for very reasonable prices. IMHO, they are very underestimated in terms of performance.
Thanks, looking forward to trying them out fully when I get some time. The cabs are in good condition overall, so a good clean should suffice, but may take the finish 'back' a bit and re-finish/oil as you suggest.

There are some good speakers in the B&O ranges to be found. I have a pair of the little CX50's also, very good, especially with a sub added. But some 'horrors' too, I had a pair of X25's (a boot-sale find) looked fine, but lightweight cabs and really cheap drive units, not good! I think they were once voted 'worst B&O product' on one of the websites :) Anyway, they have gone now.

Paul

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 12 Dec 2011 02:31

Well,
NOT equipment, but Stocking Stuffers for Christmas! :D

(all from http://www.lpgear.com )

Headshell Screws-Weight 2 Grams $3.50

Standard 3-gram headshell weight 3 Grams $3.50

Cartridge Mounting Screws set $9.99

Sonic Phono Headshell Lead Wires-Gold plated $10.99
(these are a repeat purchase, with a moderately "cheapie" look, but they are STURDY and withstand several cartridge changes, way above the fragile silk-covered fancy wire $25.+> models.

Nice stocking stuffers!
Regards,
bauzace50

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 15 Dec 2011 16:34

A Technics BX501 cassette deck for £10.50. Mrs Satan found some old cassettes she wishes to listen to, but no deck at present. Not too concerned about quality of playback so a nice stop gap solution.

Tedrick
long player
long player

Post by Tedrick » 16 Dec 2011 03:01

Bought a McCormack Micro Phono Drive, the later model with the rectangular brushed aluminum front. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow so I can have some weekend fun.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 21 Dec 2011 14:24

A Sony SMP-NX20...... :shock: :) :) :) which is a proprietary model for Club members = Sony SMP-N200

Not quite an audio specific piece of equipment however, the price is right $ub 70 and I'm able to utilize the lowly DSL connection further. It's connected to a TV..... :shock: :shock: however, now can get audio content to the main listening system from, well, all over the world?........ :) :)

Sound is acceptable and depends on the source. Right now I've got an audio mini plug from TV out to Video in on the preamp. Got to solve the slight 60Hz hum from the TV.... :?

So much music, so little time...... :shock: :)

Fred and video is somewhat useless / frustrating watching the buffering circle...... :shock: :)

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 21 Dec 2011 14:27

Alec124c41 wrote:Just took delivery of a Yamaha PX-3 turntable. :D

Cheers,
Alec
=D> =D> =D> =D>

Congrats.... and let us know what you think ! Is this your first LT..... :-k :-k

Fred and nice CAN Santa..... :) :)

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 21 Dec 2011 14:30

paul401 wrote:
Singlemania45 wrote:
avole wrote:Nothing.

Support http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/
:lol: Does buying secondhand count as recycling :wink: .
..... It's always been my exuse :-D

Paul
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Me too.......

Fred and trying to be green while parting with less of it..... :)

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 21 Dec 2011 14:32

Dee Mento wrote:I blew my wad on a pair of these.
Klipsch Palladiun P-17B. Lovely speakers, these will be with me for a long time.
Your first name isn't "Doctor" is it....... :-k :-k :) :) :) :)

Beautiful and Congrats....... :)

Fred

Dee Mento

Post by Dee Mento » 22 Dec 2011 03:27

Thanks, Fred. No, I'm not the good doctor, but it was my physician who first gave me a listen to a pair of those speakers. I was blown away by the sound, but the price was beyond my means. When I saw that pair on AudiogoN for a tad less than half price, I grabbed the opportunity. No regrets. :D