What equipment have you bought this week?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: What equipment have you bought this week?

Post by vinyl master » 10 Jun 2019 01:50

I think it's gonna be a fun project, Dasher...and you're welcome! :wink:

When you get something that needs work or is incomplete, it's almost better, though, because now you have to challenge yourself to get any missing parts and get the whole works up to snuff! The red case could be fun...There are lots of possibilities and much potential with this one and the perfect opportunity to have some fun with it! Enjoy and keep us posted on any new progress! 8)

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 10 Jun 2019 02:09

:twisted: Will do...along with the DD75, the Lab 80, the Dual 1226, --37, --18, Pioneer PL1-1000, (...and his orchestra...did I say "and his orchestra", yet? #-o 8) :lol: )
Just waitin' for the day...soon, tho.
Oh, yeah, had a dream the other nite...had a different house, liveable basement, a work bench on 2-3 walls, all with various projects going on down the row...glorious!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Jun 2019 04:53

DasherF wrote:
10 Jun 2019 02:09
:twisted: Will do...along with the DD75, the Lab 80, the Dual 1226, --37, --18, Pioneer PL1-1000, (...and his orchestra...did I say "and his orchestra", yet? #-o 8) :lol: )
Just waitin' for the day...soon, tho.
Oh, yeah, had a dream the other nite...had a different house, liveable basement, a work bench on 2-3 walls, all with various projects going on down the row...glorious!
Ah, see...Now you just have to make the dream happen! :-k

Maybe an investment in a few shelving units is in order? My radio guy Chris has a bunch of these 5-shelf plastic shelving units (shown here in his garage)...

There are probably like 10-12 of them in his basement workshop, which is this small alcove room behind some louvered doors...This is a quick drawing to give you an idea of the layout...

It can get a little cramped and the aisles are narrow, but all his test equipment is on a workbench in the back and he has plenty of projects waiting for him when he has the chance to work on them! :D

My local audio repair shop has a bunch of shelves like these in their back room...

https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Adjust ... way&sr=8-9

You name it...Amps, printers, copiers, phonographs, turntables, cassette decks, reel to reels, speakers, and all sorts of electric and electronic paraphernalia stacked on them...If you have enough projects, this may well be an investment to find a spare area that would be suitable for this sort of thing...Think basement room, walk-in closet, man cave, outdoor shed, wherever you might have the space...If space is limited, taller shelves that reach the ceiling may be in order...Use the wall space to your advantage!

In any case, if you don't have something like this planned out, it might be something worth pursuing... :-k

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 11 Jun 2019 00:17

Nice stuff, vm! Once I get that 8-9' ceiling, they're in!

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 14 Jun 2019 01:54

PSX_20190613_195132.jpg
(134.05 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Update on Teac A-1200...
I knew I had a very short tape, maybe a few minutes, hopefully on a 7" reel to make up for "no 7" reel"...wanted a 7" take up...buuut the short length was on a fiver. Oh well...put Van Morrison's "Lonely Avenue" and recorded the intro instrumental before running out of tape...life is good...rewound it and played it back...OOO-LA-LAAAAAH!! I AM IN LOVE WITH R2R AGAIN!!
Maybe it's with bigger equipment, maybe new ears, but it definitely sounded better than I remembered my old Kenwood KR-3130/Omega speakers (6"x 8-10" boxes, single multijob cone) pulling sound from my old A-1200.
I was also feeling the "Zen" of muckin' with the tape and reels, too, threading and all. Very relaxing with more time...as well as the satisfaction of it working, right off. Thanks, again, vm! Your advice was well appreciated (it always is, even if I don't act on it...fun to see whatcha sent me!).
Sorry about the blur...the end of tape so soon surprised me...
More about the Garrard DD75 (II) soon!

DL110luvr
United States of America

Post by DL110luvr » 14 Jun 2019 08:39

Picked up a Yamaha ProMix 01 16 channel mixer to replace another Yamaha (14 channel) that's seen its better days.....!
This is a donation to the local LPFM station where I'm doing volunteer work.....
We're trying -slowly but surely - to upgrade some of our really old stuff and give the station both a physical AND audible "face lift"!:)

citizenarcane
long player
long player

Post by citizenarcane » 15 Jun 2019 05:21

Bought a Japanese Yamaha CD-N301 Network CD Player and a down converter to complete my silver face stack.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 20 Jun 2019 23:03

I have but one entry (X 12...)...and what a score!
PSX_20190620_165021.jpg
(75.62 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
A stack of Ampex recording tape came thru near the end of the day today...I have my musician-friend looking for mor to surface, but hey, a dozen's a start, yeah? Funny, I just had called a couple record stores around town to hear "we used to carry them, but stopped..."
And then this...$.50 each...pure bliss!
Again, excuse the pic. Quivering with delight at the end of the day...go figure... :lol:

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 23:22

For that price, it doesn't even matter the grade level!

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 20 Jun 2019 23:33

Oh, heck no! And I have cotton swabs ("still sealed") from my workin' digs and a bottle of IPA (before or after every use) to keep the heads and capstan clean...
I feel like I hit the jackpot, got my wish answered, wow...
Yeah, they are used, have been recorded, but using my powers for good, not evil, I'll just record over them sound unheard.
It was a good day...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 22 Jun 2019 11:00

DasherF wrote:
20 Jun 2019 23:03
I have but one entry (X 12...)...and what a score!
PSX_20190620_165021.jpg
A stack of Ampex recording tape came thru near the end of the day today...I have my musician-friend looking for mor to surface, but hey, a dozen's a start, yeah? Funny, I just had called a couple record stores around town to hear "we used to carry them, but stopped..."
And then this...$.50 each...pure bliss!
Again, excuse the pic. Quivering with delight at the end of the day...go figure... :lol:
That was a great find and will help you to try out your machine with some music you like! 8)

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 22 Jun 2019 15:30

Or shut off all the lights and listen to the admissions of those in need...(mostly these tapes come from the psychology Dept.) Again, I use my power for good, not evil...it stays here.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 22 Jun 2019 20:00

Tink said...That was a great find and will help you to try out your machine with some music you like! 8)
To further my response, I look forward to recording something with it that started on tape with me (Brainticket, for one)...
Thanks for the support, Guys!

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 22 Jun 2019 22:03

You may not be able to tell where the psychology Dept recordings end and Cottonwoodhill begins.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 22 Jun 2019 22:28

:lol: :lol: :lol:
8) oooohhhhh, but to have the op to try.... 8)
=D> =D> good one! Happy Saturday!
I dunno if I related this, but Brainticket was on a tape a band compadre sent me from Germany when he enlisted in the Army. Of the 4-5 LPs recorded on the tape, that one stuck out as being the most interesting. When I sold the old Teac, the tapes went with it (again, "dum-guy, dum-guy, dum-guy"...).
Had the thought to loik them up a few years ago, finding there were reissues of CH and more they recorded. Got the 5 and a live LP. Many of them had cimpanion CDs for the car (ka-ching...!).
The was anothe group with Tiger in the name...don't remember that as well, but I'd like to rediscover that one...remembering that much must have significance.