Need new output cables on Thorens TD125 MkII

radio, tape, stands and accessories
scooderdude

Need new output cables on Thorens TD125 MkII......

Post by scooderdude » 17 Sep 2004 00:12

Any suggestions?

I've asked around the local stereo repair shop trying to learn specific technical requirements for phono cables (e.g., cable impedence, etc.), and also contacted one well-known manufacturer (Monster), and they were of zero help. They couldn't even provide the most rudimentary specs!

These would be cables that are bare on one end as they must be hard-soldered in.

Thanks!

drc

Post by drc » 17 Sep 2004 06:45

Hi, I am using Td125 mk2 and changed phono cable from original set to MIT terminator 3. I have no any specs of the cables to use but tried some(VDH,alhpacore,mit t3). I think the phono cable might be the same as interconect cables and shielding may be the point to consider since the signal is low-level and easy to be interfered.

StephDale

Post by StephDale » 17 Sep 2004 09:20

The cable you use most be low impedance and low capacitance this is the prime requirement, otherwise it'll act as an additional load on the cartridge. Screening is important, but closely spaced, twisted wiring will often achieve very similar results.

Might be worth trying to get hold of some Van den Hul cable or alternatively Cardas/Incognito...

http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/ will be a help if you drop them an e-mail for advice. I've always found them very good.

Why do you want/need to replace the cables anyway :?: What arm are you using?

Steph

scooderdude

Post by scooderdude » 17 Sep 2004 19:21

StephDale wrote:
Why do you want/need to replace the cables anyway :?: What arm are you using?

Steph
I figured the cheap looking original, and now 25+ year old, cables could/should be replaced, as old cables tend to get a bit stiff and brittle, and am looking for ways to upgrade the TT in easy and tangible steps at a time.

The TT has the "standard" Thorens tone arm. Not sure the model number.

ebreckpo

cables

Post by ebreckpo » 18 Sep 2004 00:07

I am using for "general use" Prefer OFC AV-24 cable as it is low capacitance cable and does the job very well as tonearm cable. I modified some Rega arms (RB250 -RB300) with this cable and it sounds much better than the stock cable. If you can get a hold on this cable it is a good alternative if you are on a budget.

fidtune

Post by fidtune » 08 Oct 2004 02:53

I used Analysis Plus interconnect cable with great results.