Bristol Show ..quick report

radio, tape, stands and accessories
JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Bristol Show .....quick report

Post by JollyJeweller » 20 Feb 2009 16:20

Some absolute stinkers there, not going to name and shame as some listers may be offended.

Things I liked :

Bryston & PNC stand, some good sounds coming off there.
Totem: Every year I leave thinking how good they sound, my Veenas may have to be kissed goodbye !
Tannoy : Yikes....I sort of liked the new Definitions.
Leema : The Xanadu's sounded pretty good.

Things I REALLY disliked.
NAIM. Sorry.........just don't like the sound.

Bought 2 Chord Super Screen mains cables for my 2 monoblocks. Have I been taken in by the snake oil sales man ?

Missed Jon Tilt, but hope here posts his thoughts here too.....

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 21 Feb 2009 18:13

The Keith Monks demonstration was pretty interesting - If I had £2.5K to spend on a record cleaning machine that would be the one I went for - it was virtually silent and extremely well engineered - the vacuum pumps they use are also used for kidney dialysis. It was being operated by Jonathan Monks and his assistant Fenchurch. I learned some interesting things about the properties of vinyl and mold release compounds - MRCs are basically oil which is why it's a good idea to clean records before playing. He said that vinyl isn't as stable as it might appear, it's constantly releasing small amounts of gas and lubricating agents.

I spent twenty minutes in the Funk room talking to AK and listening to the turntables. He had three Saffires set up, all with Goldring 1042 carts. One had a Naim ARO, one an SME V and the other had the new F dot Cross R arm which is a rewired RB 250 or 300 with their own internally crossbraced spiral wound carbon fibre armtube. It sells for £1,100 which might sound a lot for just a hot rodded Rega but it made the (£2,500) SME V sound pale and anemic and even the ARO (one of my all time favourites) was put in its place. I asked about the A.N.T.I. which was the unfinished unipivot/Schroeder cross they'd been showing last year and was told they're not going to do it because it's easier to mod Regas.

The most amusing thing I saw was a stuffed shirt showing off the Shun Mook record clamp. This is something JaS mentioned in this thread: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... highlight= . Anyway it's £1,200 and the guy was saying that there are other record clamps but none sound like this one. He then proceded to demonstrate and it made to my ears no audible difference whatsoever. Bargain. My friend was as underwhelmed as me.

Diverse Vinyl were doing good business as usual - they had a deal on Domino Records so I ended up buying five. They also had T shirts in the style of the iconic I heart NY design that said I heart LP. I was tempted but having already spent £130 on cable, £35 on records and £15 on record cleaning fluid I thought better of it.

There were plenty of people there buying as well as selling. I saw our own with his modded SP10s and SL1200s but he was deep in conversation every time I passed so I didn't get chance to say hello. Unfortunately his was a static display only so I didn't get chance to hear them. He was sharing a stand with Guy Sergeant who used to design Audio Innovations.

The new Quad electrostatics were there although I couldn't really assess them because of the high level of background yakking going on - a shame because they're supposed to be really special.

JT

blisteringbarnacles

Post by blisteringbarnacles » 21 Feb 2009 20:19

'...and his assistant Fenchurch'... ? :lol:

wrong place for this reply admittedly, but having spent £1400 on a loricraft RCM last year I'm not sure I'd spend 2500 on a monk machine or similar even if cost was no object... really must write up my thoughts on that in the cleaning section.

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 21 Feb 2009 23:09

The guys on the Leema Acoustics stand were selling some sort of lump of steel , bit like a hockey puck, that you placed on the T/T , have no idea what it did.
Show special....was £75 , yours for £50 (cash......) .....magic beans methinks ?

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 22 Feb 2009 09:30

Hi JJ,

I too was very impressed at the London Hi-Fi show with the Totem Speakers, always wondered how they'd cope with a reasonably sizable listening room though - do you think they'll be able to fill a 14' by 26' space especially with a taught, strong and punchy bass?

Cheers
Dave
I have to admit, this is my one misgiving about them. They may sound great in a 9 x 9 hotel room with the little cones jumping out of the cabinets, but yes, how would they work in a 15 x 20 living room.
They do do the Wind range however :-)
http://www.totemacoustic.com/products/columns/wind/
Sadly £8000 :?

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 22 Feb 2009 10:24

hallo,

you could just get a pair of the smaller Tannoy Def's for your room.
they too work well with valve electronics.
the Prestige line is also very interesting. :crazy:

regards,
bastlnut