Why cant I get my system balanced from right to left

radio, tape, stands and accessories
duficity
long player
long player

Why cant I get my system balanced from right to left

Post by duficity » 16 Feb 2009 22:31

I have just moved my main system to a new house, and after preliminarily putting it together, I put on my 180 gram new pressing of Dark Side of the Moon and let her fly. Sounded great and was looking forward to doing a little fine tuning and resetting all my turntable parameters. I was delayed by about a month, but got to it this weekend.

After rebalancing my Oracle Delphi III w/ Linn Ittok III and Dynavector 10x5, hooked up to a Classe CP30 preamp and CA100 amp in balanced mode to PSB Image 4t speakers, I found a strong pull to the right. I checked and rechecked my cartridge settings, switched out tonearm interconnects, reversed left for right channel, did same from preamp to amp, and then amp to speakers. Still pulling to right. Then tried a CD and found the same thing. Even using balance control it took a lot of rotation to get an even output and the sound never seemed blended, almost like dual mono.

I went so far as to change speakers, right to left and now it pulls to the left so it seems the problem is in the speakers. I checked each driver in the quieter speaker, and they all work. But when played together, the one speaker is not as loud and also seems to lose something in the treble and seems not as dynamic, but sounds ok when played alone.

Am I missing something in trying to track down the problem? It did work perfectly just after I first set it up, and now it doesnt. The difference is startling, even though the sound of the speaker when played alone is fine. Any thoughts? Or just start over with a new system.

Peter

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 17 Feb 2009 00:57

Are there any brightness or midrange controls on the speakers that might have been inadvertently changed?
Did you check the wires? Try reversing the wire. I did one set-up where one speaker would not play until, in desparation, I reversed the wire. I have no idea why.

Cheers,
Alec

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 17 Feb 2009 09:14

hallo,

edit,
wrong post.

regards,
bastlnut

Re: Why cant I get my system balanced from right to left

Post by Guest » 17 Feb 2009 10:09

duficity wrote:
I went so far as to change speakers, right to left and now it pulls to the
left so it seems the problem is in the speakers. I checked each driver in
the quieter speaker, and they all work. But when played together, the
one speaker is not as loud and also seems to lose something in the
treble and seems not as dynamic, but sounds ok when played alone.

Am I missing something in trying to track down the problem?

Peter
Hi,

If possible swap the drivers one by one, if this makes no difference
then the problem is in one of the crossovers. Its not clear that the
problem is one speaker is too "quiet" but that seems the likeliest.

You could have a damaged driver from the move (e.g. magnet position
slipped due to a knock) but if the drivers seem fine you are down to
checking connectors and testing / swapping crossover components.

From your description if you follow the above you will find the problem.