help me design a custom rack/stand

radio, tape, stands and accessories
idiotec

help me design a custom rack/stand

Post by idiotec » 13 Feb 2009 20:02

I have looked everywhere for something to suit my needs but nothing seems to be quite right. I like the looks and functionality of a low and wide rack rather than the standard tower rack. The rack will either go between the speakers or on a side wall, haven't decided yet.

The picture below shows the general idea of what I want. I would very much appreciate ideas regarding materials to use and how best to construct.

Please let me know your ideas.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4615/rackqv1.jpg

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 14 Feb 2009 02:37

That looks quite good and not too hard to build.

One suggestion I would make is to build in a sand box in the top (or even all) levels. I've seen a rack built like this on the 'net and it seemed a good idea, I almost made one but then I found a commercial rack which fitted my needs. I find a sand box great for isolating the TT and it would look a lot better if it was an integrated part of the rack.

DS

idiotec

Post by idiotec » 14 Feb 2009 04:51

That sounds great but I am a little overwhelmed building as it is. :oops: Still just trying to figure out the best way to connect sections, etc. Then there is MDF, hardwood or other? Wood legs or steel? I should of taken shop class as a kid. :(

idiotec

Post by idiotec » 15 Feb 2009 18:31

I have read that Flexy article and was thinking about that as well. I think wood legs would look better, but it does seem easier to use the metal rods.

I will have to look into that damping material, haven't seen it before. Sounds like a good idea.

Starkness

Post by Starkness » 16 Feb 2009 01:42

I found this thread in my travels, you may enjoy the read.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... php?t=8383

idiotec

Post by idiotec » 16 Feb 2009 18:40

Starkness wrote:I found this thread in my travels, you may enjoy the read.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... php?t=8383
Finally got through it, quite the project! I never saw a final cost but it sounds like it was in excess of $5K! :shock:

While I have nowhere near that budget, it definitely helps inspire some ideas, and the overall dimensions are pretty much exactly what I want.

Starkness

Post by Starkness » 16 Feb 2009 20:47

I would say that you could contact the OP about his cost and for the designs perhaps, he appears very open from my reading. :D

Best of luck, keep us informed of your progress.

Legba

Post by Legba » 17 Feb 2009 22:51

Have you considered galvanized pipe and flanges for your shelving project?

Nper70

Post by Nper70 » 18 Feb 2009 07:37

I would second the recommendation for the TNT-Flexy. Since you need more horizontal storage than a single width rack, you might as well build more than one of them.

This in my mind presents these advantages:
- The first build will be OK, the second will be more than OK, the third build can be excellent

- Since floors are rarely ruler-flat, it will be much easier to level each rack individually, rather than play with a triple-width rack

- You can use a single width marble/granite slab for turntable support. Acquiring this in single width is much easier than a much longer one, let alone being able to have more than one, in case you have more than one record players

- Getting smaller shelves is a much easier process. MDF is said to be better than solid wood (ie a board assembled of solid wood strips) as it is stiffer and of higher density

- You can adjust different height for shelves, when needed. For example a tube amp will require different shelf height than a tuner or a simple cd player and you kind-of proact for any changes that could be made in your system

Also, but entirely out of context, 68" might just be a tad small-ish for three shelves horizontally, but still just too must "staff" between your speakers, assuming the speakers don't have a clearance of say 2-3 feet in front of the rack.
If I had that option, I would much rather go for a rack with sources and preamps on the side and another one with amplifiers between the speakers

Bottom line: Have a look at the flexy on the TNT site and try to make sure if you can get all the materials. Get the steel threaded tubing, the washers, the nuts, the caps but buy the simplest material for the shelves you can find, ie unpainted MDF of whatever density you feel is best for you. You dontt have to give the boards a "finish" yet, you can work on it and make a prototype. If you still have the boards intact you can paint and varnish/lacquer them, if not, having acquired the experience of what you exactly want, simple toss the old ones in the fireplace and order some fresh ones.

What I would also consider, if you don't like the thought of marble/granite slabs, would be some wall mounts for turntables, which you can either DIY as well or get something ready made from the market. I could put recommendations for that, and I do believe them to be better with suspended turntables, even though they are obviously not practical with a 50lb mass loaded platter

Nick

idiotec

Post by idiotec » 22 Feb 2009 17:26

I have been looking into some of these different possibilities. I appreciate all the feedback. 3 short "Flexy's" does seem like maybe the easiest build. I have been looking around for local resources as well, and might hire some help.