What is the worst system you have heard?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 20 Feb 2009 02:28

, apparently you missed the point. Each of these components was simply the most expensive in that particular class of equipment for that year, with no consideration as to sound or anything like that. I was just curious as to what the most expensive system you could put together would cost, sort of like the annual cost of the twelve days of Christmas stories you get on local news stations every December, that's all. And you're right; there are certainly some mega buck systems that blow me away (I heard one about a month ago---f**g stunning!) but that simply wasn't the point.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 20 Feb 2009 02:29

EdA,

Rectilinear IIIs? I guess my ears weren't deceiving me after all.

When I finally had saved some money from my first job, I bought some lightly used separates, Mac C 26 and a Sony TA 3200F.

At the time I had a pair of Rectilinear XIs which sounded very nice but could easily be overpowered by the amp.

A friend had a pair of Rect III which he wanted to sell and lent them to me to try out. Talk about sweet sound, I had the RIIIs in front and the RXIs in the rear. I nearly got thrown out of the apt complex while doing some clockwise experimentation.

Couldn't $wing them at the time so I gave them back but for a week, I was in audiophile heaven.

Fred and wondering if I can get my RXIs re-drivered.....

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 20 Feb 2009 10:06

Speaking of Rectilinears - I have a set of XIIs and ran them until about 2 years ago. Both woofers have been replaced but they should still work fine. They were my speakers for about 20 years because nothing at a decent price gave me a much better sound until I spent a larger amount of money. They are about to become my daughter's speakers. Boy, were they a good buy when I was a penniless student.

Back on topic: I won't name the brands but I find clinical systems really don't agree with my preference for a good set up. I have heard quite a few demonstrations of expensive systems which just don't do it for me - no soul. I guess it is a matter of preference but some megabuck components just leave me disappointed.

DS

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 20 Feb 2009 11:39

fscl wrote:EdA,

Rectilinear IIIs? I guess my ears weren't deceiving me after all.

When I finally had saved some money from my first job, I bought some lightly used separates, Mac C 26 and a Sony TA 3200F.

At the time I had a pair of Rectilinear XIs which sounded very nice but could easily be overpowered by the amp.

A friend had a pair of Rect III which he wanted to sell and lent them to me to try out. Talk about sweet sound, I had the RIIIs in front and the RXIs in the rear. I nearly got thrown out of the apt complex while doing some clockwise experimentation.

Couldn't $wing them at the time so I gave them back but for a week, I was in audiophile heaven.

Fred and wondering if I can get my RXIs re-drivered.....
Yeah IIIs...I ended up selling them to a friend that I fell out of touch with. In their day they were the least boxey sounding box type speaker I has the opportunity to hear. They bordered on estat type quickness and openess. and that was before I ever heard an estat (a past/future type of reference, if you get my point).

I once read a story that Rectilinear was sold to some big company and before they had a chance to seal the deal a fire wiped out the entire Rectilinear operation. A terrible loss...damm fine speakers.

Ed

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 20 Feb 2009 12:55

HI,
this is another vote for those wonderful Rectilinear III. I owned a pair for several years, until substituting them for my own DIY Webb TLS (project published in "Audio Amateur"). Both were among the best I've ever heard.
REgards,
b50

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 20 Feb 2009 20:45

Just Wikied Rectilinear Corp. The designers reads like a who's who of hi-fi, ie Jon Dahlquist, etc...

I once got overenthusiastic :oops: with my XI and blew one of the tweeters under warranty.

Brought the speaker down to Bruckner Blvd, Bronx and watched while they replaced it on the spot.

I was a happy camper. I think I'm going to have to get them running again.

Fred