Not very technical question

radio, tape, stands and accessories
tmaoahthfte

Not very technical question

Post by tmaoahthfte » 21 Jan 2009 22:52

Can I do a bit of brain picking please? I'm about to embark on a refit of my lounge which is going to mean a rearangement of just about every component of my music system.

Basically there are 2 front, 2 rear speakers and a sub wired into a surround receiver. The 2 fronts are also wired to the stereo amp as well, via a switching box that came from Maplins. It's labelled as a SP 20 speaker source control and to be honest it's not exactly high quality, often the switches need repeated thumps to work properly and it also degrades the sound quality. Even my wife can tell the difference if the box is bypassed. I think it cost a fiver though so maybe I'm asking too much. (':(')

However, it serves the purpose as there isn't enough room in the house for me to have my stereo elsewhere and this Maplin box was the only thing I could find that fitted the requirements at the time.

So, the question, is there another way I can connect all the boxes up without using a cheap 'n nasty switching unit? or is there a better quality unit out there somewhere that I can't find on Google?

All suggestions gratefully received, especially cheap ones, well, maybe more than five pounds this time('[-o<')

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 22 Jan 2009 08:07

Hi,
You'll definitely need some sort of switch box to connect one pair of speakers to two amplifiers.

I'd usually suggest QED for a decent quality switchbox but I think all of their speaker switches are for multiple speaker switching rather than multiple source?

If you know somebody with a soldering iron it should be easy enough to fix the Maplin box?

Regards,
JaS

Post by Guest » 22 Jan 2009 10:54

Hi,

You could connect the stereo at line level via a tape out into the receiver ?

So the receiver is always powering the speakers, depends on relative quality.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 22 Jan 2009 15:07

You could open the switch box, and clean all contacts. Check for poor solder joints while you are in there.

Cheers,
Alec

idiotec

Post by idiotec » 22 Jan 2009 16:35

I think the best way to handle this situation is with a stereo preamp that has HT pass through. In this configuration there is no extra switch or circuits for stereo listening.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 22 Jan 2009 18:10

If you can connect the front preamp output from your AV receiver to one of the inputs on your stereo, perhaps an unused tape in, you would not need the switchbox, and still have analog output for your stereo.

Cheers,
Alec

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 22 Jan 2009 18:53

Alec124c41 wrote:If you can connect the front preamp output from your AV receiver to one of the inputs on your stereo, perhaps an unused tape in, you would not need the switchbox, and still have analog output for your stereo
Good idea, it might even sound better :) You'd just have to remember to turn down the stereo amps volume control whenever you where using it alone, and turn it back to max before using the HT amp.

Regards,
JaS

tmaoahthfte

Post by tmaoahthfte » 22 Jan 2009 19:00

Thanks for the replies folks, much food for thought there.

I was suprised that Maplins seemed to be the only company that sold this type of box, but thinking about it now I quess it must be lack of demand! I'm probably their only customer. Jas, I can see why Maplins only charged a fiver after looking at the build quality of the gear on the QED site, my one looks like I made it. I take your point about the internal conections though, so I'll dismantle it this weekend and lose some bits down the back of the sofa.

I'm intrigued by the other suggestions of connecting through the receiver as well, when the room has been cleared out there'll be space for me to experiment, with everything laid out on the floor.

Once again many thanks for your thoughts.

Singlemania45
long player
long player
England

Post by Singlemania45 » 23 Jan 2009 01:11

Jas wrote:and turn it back to max before using the HT amp.Regards,
JaS
I'm thinking of doing something similar. In my situation I'm using a Kenwood separate Pre/Pwr (Front) and Surround Sound Processor (Centre & Rear) but want to add in a Crimson Pre/Sugden Pwr to drive the front speakers. Presumably I'll just need to ditch the Kenwood Pwr and run the Pre Out from the Kenwood Pre to lets say the Tuner input on the Crimson. This is the only spare connection because the Tape In is used by a Sony JB940 MDisc.

Tim

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 Jan 2009 05:07

Singlemania, that should work. I suspect your Crimson sounds better than the Kenwood anyway. :)
Enjoy.

Alec

idiotec

Post by idiotec » 27 Jan 2009 15:47

Alec124c41 wrote:If you can connect the front preamp output from your AV receiver to one of the inputs on your stereo, perhaps an unused tape in, you would not need the switchbox, and still have analog output for your stereo.

Cheers,
Alec
That is basically how HT bypass works except it is a direct passthrough with no additional gain, etc.

I wonder if running the signal through two line level gain stages would cause problems? :-k

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 27 Jan 2009 18:57

The signal going through 2 stages is the video sound track.
What comes out of the first stage is line level, so there is no problem re overloading the 2nd amp.

Cheers,
Alec

tmaoahthfte

Post by tmaoahthfte » 27 Jan 2009 21:33

Good evening all, thought I'd let you know that I dismantled the switch box, checked the contacts and found the actual contact points in the switches needed a spot of solder on them to make a decent connection. Souding much better now :D Hopefully get to try some of your other suggestions next week as the room is going to be cleared ready for new furniture, units etc etc.