New find but not mine

radio, tape, stands and accessories
scorchin34

New find but not mine

Post by scorchin34 » 18 Jan 2009 13:23

Hey Cats,
A Bud of mine has a used vintage and newish electronics shop in my town which is quite successful I might add. Well anyway he calls on me for advice from time to time and he has acquired a set of speakers that has him stumped. A possible customer has brought in 2 sets of speakers a set of stand mount Mirage 350 sealed cabinet bass reflex design speakers and a wild looking but great sounding pair of Jamo Dynamic D4 ported 3 way, the Jamo's look pretty goofy on first impression but once they are running the opinion changes quickly, great midrange and sweet full smooth sound, especially with vinyl. He's looked them up and has had no luck. Does anybody here have any knowledge of these speakers?? We'd really like to know so he can come up with a trade $$ deal with the owner because my Bud wants to keep them as shop speakers or to take home for his home system. I don't have any pictures handy at this time to provide. But I can get some if required.

I'd appreciate any help you folks can provide in this matter.

Peace,
Preston

snfrosten
long player
long player

Post by snfrosten » 18 Jan 2009 16:28

Jamo is a scandinavia speaker company that has been making speakers since the early 80s and is now owner by Klipsch. The D4 is discontinued and probably was not an expensive speaker, may have been a home theater type of speaker. Some of the Jamos were pretty good sounding for the price and there are still many dealers in Canada that sell the current models.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Jan 2009 22:49

Mirage is a Canadian manufacturer, respected for making well built and good sounding speakers. I bought a pair of Mirage of Mirage SM-3 speakers at a local thrift shop, which are similar to the 350's. I refoamed them, and was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded. Well built, too.
Value? Depending on condition, I'd say about $40 - 80 would be fair.

Cheers,
Alec

Post by Guest » 19 Jan 2009 12:30

http://images4.fotosik.pl/143/83646c1dff276491med.jpg

Hi,

I presume you mean the D4's from the days Jamo catered for headbangers.
All such models I've heard (usually installed in pubs) I would not say were
particularly good, crude but lively is the kindest thing I can say.

Danish made, a "budget" brand to degree in the UK. They appealed to
the home "disco" type rather than the audiophiles, turn it up more ......

scorchin34

Post by scorchin34 » 19 Jan 2009 12:51

That's them! Thanks for the pic. Thanks for the info as well, I can see the being used for Pubs and so forth because the back sides of them have receivers at the back to accept hangers and so forth..
Peace,
Preston