Post by fscl » 14 Jan 2009 19:38

For some history on Blue Note.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=99017823

Enjoy,

Fred

rbwinterlink

WHAT GREAT AND WONDERFUL INFORMATION ON BLUE NOTE JAZZ

Post by rbwinterlink » 15 Feb 2009 04:28

Sir, I applaud you on providing this information. I have been a jazz lover for many years. And as a matter of fact, while working in Germany as a program manager, I was able ot take photos of many of the jazz greats that often stopped in Frankfurt Germany. I was learning black and white photography. While visiting a jazz club and speaking with the manager, we agreed that If I took a developed two (2) `12x16 photos of each jazz person that played there, I could get in free. What a wonderful time I had and how exciting it was to hear the music. And of course there were local groups that played as well. There was one group that I could tell had listened to the Bill Evans Trio and had patterned their play that way. What a beautiful sound they had.

Thanks again for this great information and the NPR sponsorship. By the way what does your music/audio system consist of? I look forward to hearing from you.

blisteringbarnacles

Post by blisteringbarnacles » 16 Feb 2009 16:18

getting to hear top-class jazz in return for having your b/w photos used in 'public' ?? What a wonderful arrangement / time that must have been indeed!

hope you're still enjoying your jazz and photography.

thanks, Fred, for the bluenote link.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 16 Feb 2009 18:39

RB,

What a great arrangement, what a great collection of jazz greats you must have photographed, saw and listened to.

When I first heard this interview, I found it so interesting as I have now gravitated to jazz lately via rock / rock improvisation bands --> blues / fusion --> jazz.

I'm working my way through the new Blue Note reissues which come with corresponding CD along with what I can find at the thrift shops and used record stores.

Audio system wise, nothing too special, all previously owned or cared for demos, I've got it posted in my profiles. I am very happy with what I have as it sounds excellent to my ears. The addition of the sub completed the system as the bass really comes through along w/ the kick drum and can sound just like a small jazz club setting.

I'm toying with going to see McCoy Tyner w/ Gary Bartz in NYC in the next few days and bring along my A Love Supreme, Trident and Ju Ju Man for some autographs but haven't committed yet, business may also get in the way.

Glad you liked the Blue Note interview, I gave a copy of the interview to the owner of the record store I frequent and she filled me in on side stories as she used to attended jazz concerts at the Half Note w/ friends and saw most every act that came through.

Have you tried streaming WKCR?

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/wkcr/

Happy listening.....

Fred