Open Those Doors

radio, tape, stands and accessories
freefallrob

Post by freefallrob » 09 Jan 2009 09:46

Yep your right. Our kitchen door leads to the living room which is my listening room unfortunatly too.....opening and shuting the door does affect the sound. My 2 year old son likes opening and shutting (slamming) the door too :roll: :twisted: ........

Post by Guest » 09 Jan 2009 18:50

It depends on the size of your room, the position, output and placement of your speakers. You can chart nodal frequencies empirically to some extent but this is never reliable, not least because your room has walls (!) and the floor/ceiling relationship is seldom exactly parallel, so its only ever an approximation.

Nevertheless, I recently did this for my set up and by moving my listening chair back 2m achieved a substantial lift in low frequency response and improved imaging. How? Simple. The chair was not ideally positioned to benefit fully from the actual in-room response at 35 to 40 Hz, and by charting where the maximum amplitude of that nodal frequency lay (at least theoretically) I was able to experiment and end up with a better layout to listen from.

Open doors change the relationship of the speaker/room coupling, particularly the standing wave nodal response. Standing waves are not bad per-se, what is bad is the interaction of two or more in two or more different planes. The only way to accurately sort this out for any given room is with sophisticated sound pressure measuring devices, but to my mind, approximation and experimentation is good fun and achieves good results.

Small speakers in a large room may not benefit from an open door, however, larger speakers may. Sound pressure levels developed in room by the speakers create a loading on the speaker and hence on the amplifier too, so varying in room response for a given set up by changing the way axial frequency nodes behave can have significant impacts on sound levels at certain (not all) frequencies and can certainly give a lift to speaker response, so in theory one can tune one's speakers by tuning the room (including inclusion of sound deadening materials which can also tame unruly treble a tad, or vice-versa) and by clever listening positioning.

All speakers have different axial and off-axis behaviour, so I for one advise experimentation.

Stone

Re: OPEN THOSE DOORS

Post by Stone » 09 Jan 2009 19:16

the engine wrote:I share with you a revelation.And it works !
If you normally ,as I used to ,shut yourself into your room like a cocoon when listening to music - OPEN as many doors as you can without letting noise in. Try it .I find It decreases any standing waves and really effects the sound in a positive way with MUCH greater detail and more controlled bass.
Worth a try for nothing ??
In my space your theory is as valid!! I've got a door on each side of the listening position/sweet spot about three feet either side. When those doors are open (can't always be the case) the sound in the room is much improved...the soundstage really opens up as it were...

Cheers!

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 10 Jan 2009 06:25

Hi,
idem, in my space.
b50

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 10 Jan 2009 14:27

Hmmmm.......

Maybe closer to spring. It's cold outside.......

As it is, the neighbors can probably hear my some of my more enthusiastic "currently spinning" selections......

LOL.

Vernal equinox, here I come.....

Fred