SUB
57%
Headphone Stage
43%

Total votes: 7

ruknd

What to upgrade next....

Post by ruknd » 20 Dec 2008 05:24

I've been toying with a sub...and I'm leaning VERY hard towards the REL B series (my current setup is in my profile)...I made the mistake of playing with one on some different speakers a few weeks ago at Accents on Music in Mount Kisco, NY (yes a plug for the shop I've been going to for over a decade now).

alternatively (and what was going to be my next purchase until the sub came into play)...I was thinking of the Naim headphone stage powered by a NAPSC... this would allow me to add a little more volume to my listening at night (it may also deprive me of sleep).

What are the pros and cons (ok there are no cons but which has more pros)... AND if I went with the headphone stage which cans to get? I am leaning towards the Sh HD650s; but is there a better can at that price range (sub $500 or so)? AND what if I were to up the budget what cans would you get?

Post by Guest » 20 Dec 2008 15:32

It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing your room size, musical tastes, and reason for wanting to add a subwoofer. But as an alternative, you could buy a pair of Nola Thunderbolt subs for roughly the cost of one Rel B. I don't care what anyone says about the theoretical adequacy of a single sub--when I added the second one, the improvement in imaging and spaciousness was substantial. Though initially designed as a home theater sub, the Thunderbolt is fast and musical, and its flexible adjustments make it easy to blend into a two-channel audio system. Mine never call attention to themselves.

Ultimately, only a home audition will reveal which is better for you. Hope you have a strong back! :)

ruknd

Post by ruknd » 22 Dec 2008 05:25

I'd rather buy one REL B and then add a second one next year... my room is an odd shape at roughly 35' x 15' and the stereo is in the middle of the 35' way. My musical tastes are mostly rock and jazz.

vincula2008
long player
long player
Spain

Post by vincula2008 » 28 Dec 2008 10:29

I'm actually not very fond of subs. They need to be properly set up, and I better understand its use in home-cinema set-ups. I'm pretty sure that an stereo-only loudspeaker arrangement is a much better solution for music playback only-especially if speaking about vinyl. With a good pair of louspeakers you shouldn't be missing anything. The subwoofer would always be difficult to integrate and generally music just doesn't flow, although you get loads of bass (but no rhythm!). Of course, it's my humble opinion, but that's what a forum is for, isn't it?

Post by Guest » 28 Dec 2008 15:18

There's a wide variation in the musical quality of subwoofers.I suspect one reason mine work so well is their phase adjustment, which is continuously variable over 180 degrees.

ruknd

Post by ruknd » 29 Dec 2008 00:54

Why is it that I can never stick to my budget? I ended up with the biggest Linn Sizmik. It was much more musical than the REL B series (granted a bit more money but well worth it). Subs are not always easy to integrate but buying a decent one and setting it properly yields HUGE rewards. Mt shop's owner will come over and help set it properly so all I need to do is tweak a bit.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e ... ik1245.jpg

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 01 Jan 2009 19:44

ruknd, I bought an REL Britannia 3 last year and it's actually very nice. I wish I could have afforded the B 1, but really that's a bit too much for me for another six hertz lower. diminished returns and all that. It works seamlessly with my speakers. However, if you find another sub that sounds even better to your ears, go for it. It will make your listening that much more enjoyable since it will be that much more music that reaches your ears.You only live once. It might as well be with all the music you can get.

ruknd

Post by ruknd » 12 Jan 2009 05:03

dragon, the REL was nice but it seemed to punchy and noticeable for me. I also demoed the NAIM and Linn Sizmik 12.45 (and granted they were quite abit more money). I wanted to like the Naim best but the Linn just worked best with my speakers (Sonus Fabers).

I'm totally pleased with my decision it just makes every LP and CD new again.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 13 Jan 2009 17:07

ruknd,

Congrats.

And I totally agree with you on making LPs and CDs sound new again.

Picked up a sub almost a year ago after upgrading my speakers and have enjoyed the musicality since.

Will take you up on the plug of Accents and have a visit while ice creaming @ B & Js.

Happy listening.

Fred