TTWeights.com

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

TTWeights.com

Post by Alec124c41 » 10 Dec 2008 20:45

I spotted these weights on fleabay, that looked good and were reasonably priced.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 2759.l1259
This morning I visited them. The company is what it says: a high-tech manufacturer of precision aircraft parts. I saw what i might assume to be a complex hub of a hydraulic control system.
Larry is also an audiophile. He has some interesting products, such as the 45 adapter and weight combo, at less than $20!
I came away with the 1 pound aluminum and the 2 pound brass weights. The machine finish is excellent. I've seen worse bearing spindles. Machined with slight arc in bottom, so contact is at outer 1/4 inch.
First test, on my Rega Planar 2, cork mat, brass cones on granite, damped plinth, RB-300 with Riggle VTA collar, and Denon DL-110, Bill Berry - For Duke. The wife was napping, so I didn't get too loud. :wink:
Hockey puck 1/2 lb: Holds record down, not much effect on sound.
TTWeight 1 lb. aluminum: better focus, Saxes get some bite. This is going on my suspended decks.
TTWeight 2.24 lb. brass: Sharper focus than aluminum, sassy saxes. There is the clarity I was looking for.
This turntable is sounding good! :D
More listening to come. Meanwhile, I am impressed by the attention to detail, and the quality of material and manufacture, as well as the commitment to reasonable pricing.

Alec

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 11 Dec 2008 14:28

Wow. Went to the web site and these look gorgeous.

If they look half as nice in person , and given the the usual "audiophool" pricing for weights and clamps, they are bargains!!

You said you looked at the 45 adaptor/weight. Will that work, sans adaptor and just weight I assume, on an LP? Looks like it might function with a "Longhorned" Grado where larger clamps/weights would fowl the longhorn bar.

Thanks for the lead on these.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 Dec 2008 18:58

They are beautiful in the hand. The finish is smooth, and the edges are clean, but not sharp. Definitely a professional product.
For the longhorn, I think the middle weight 2.24 pound brass would be OK, if the longhorn is mounted high on the cartridge. The clamps would work, too.
The 45 adapter/weight is considerably smaller and lighter. It would be less effective than the bigger weights on an LP, but perfect for 45's.
And for price, they shame most of the competition.

Alec

Correction: the 45 weight is non-magnetic stainless steel, so it has some heft.

cfraser

Post by cfraser » 11 Dec 2008 19:45

I am interested in the aluminum one. Is 1 pound heavy enough to hold an LP tight enough to an acrylic platter? How tight is the spindle bore? I don't want to scratch my polished spindle. :) Can I borrow yours to try? LOL. Thanks.

I'm not really looking for better sound, just something "nicer" than the cheap clamp I already have. Maybe I need a clamp, and a weight is not the right thing, I don't know...

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 17 Dec 2008 05:08

The aluminum one and the brass are machined nicely to fit over a spindle without binding. Both metals are softer than steel. There is no danger of scratching your spindle.
For $25 you can't go wrong. If you don't like it, Larry will refund your money, or he will allow you to trade up to the brass.
If you want to pick one up, and see what he has, he is amenable. The company is in Newmarket, just off Leslie.

Alec

cfraser

Post by cfraser » 17 Dec 2008 21:13

I don't know if I need a clamp or a weight yet. The cheap plastic clamp I've been using seems OK so far as far as coupling, but I don't think it will handle much of a warp as far as flattening. Also my cart isn't close to broken in yet so I haven't been playing with any TT adjustments at all re sound.

I was thinking I'd like a fairly light all-aluminum clamp, strictly because I like polished aluminum, and I presume it would work no worse than the plastic clamp I have, so I can't lose there. I wonder if TTWeights could make that...probably. I'm pretty sure my spindle is aluminum not steel.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 17 Dec 2008 21:31

The 1 pound (454 grams) aluminum weight is not a problem for my suspended deck. The 2.24 lb. one would want the springs adjusted.
These are machined so they contact the record at the outer 1/4 inch of the weight. I found a significant improvement in sonics over the 287 gram practice hockey puck I had experimented with. And it sure looks a lot better. 8)

Alec

cfraser

Post by cfraser » 17 Dec 2008 22:49

Well, a weight sure would be easier to use than a clamp as far as quickness of putting on the spindle. I haven't even experimented with a mat and/or no clamp on this TT yet. I get the impression most people use a clamp and no mat on an acrylic platter (with the inset for the LP label). But I don't really know...

Sure I could just buy a few things from TTWeights, but the shipping is a very large percentage of the weight's cost to start with (sure the shipping is reasonable if you live in California or Florida)...never mind paying to ship the "wrong" item back. What I mean is, from a practical/expense POV, I'd be stuck with whatever I bought. I don't have enough TTs in use to move gizmos around.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Dec 2008 00:38

I'm just north of Toronto. What part are you in?
At $25 plus $12 (US) shipping it is still cheaper than others without S&H. The shipping cost is about as low as you will find. You can drive up and see the stuff, and pay no shipping.

Alec

cfraser

Post by cfraser » 18 Dec 2008 01:03

LOL, I was just coming to do an edit of my last post...

I went to the site again just now, and it is different than the other day and times I have been there. Yes, shipping is a bit cheaper to Canada now, but it's UPS, the one service I will NOT use. Mostly I have got stuck with it when people did not say they were using UPS up front. Way too much trouble for me, compared to Expresspost and Purolator. UPS is very consumer-unfriendly these days, more business-oriented in its services, seem to be demanding to deliver to a person. So I have to pay $5 more to get delivered to a UPS store, since they insist on continually coming when noone's at home. No such problems with CP and Purolator. I'm just saying... Canadian consumers generally hate UPS, I am hardly alone in this, though I'm sure it's easier for a business to send everything for eveywhere to one shipper.

Look, I'm just whining. Strictly from past and recent experience, has nothing to do with this company...

The products do look nice though. I have put one or more in my cart numerous times, but the shipping method really makes me take (more than a) pause...

I'm in Pickering BTW. Newmarket and back would easily take a couple hours at the best of times.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Dec 2008 01:50

I hate UPS for cross-border stuff: they charge too f much. And they seem to drop-kick stuff into their trucks.
Could you have a weight delivered to where you work? Or to a friend's? It should survive their handling. :lol:

Alec

cfraser

Post by cfraser » 18 Dec 2008 02:01

Unfortunately not, not since 9/11. We have a 24/7 SWAT trailer about 200' away from where goods are received. Kinda security-oriented. :) They don't want employees' doo-dads coming in to receiving these days...

The local UPS guy is excellent, and should get a customer service award, really. Fabulous and nice guy, regularly goes above and beyond, but he doesn't write the rules, and he is well-familiar with my address :) ...there is no such thing available as a "no signature required" window sticker from UPS like with Purolator. As you know, UPS in Canada is entirely different than in the U.S., and is not at all non-business friendly here. Even FedEx is much less of a hassle for working people. The neighbors I know work too, just about everyone around here does (for now...), it ain't the Bridle Path.

Never get a Canadian started talking about UPS...I apologise. :oops:

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Dec 2008 04:21

You could call Larry, see if he will mail one to you. He seems to be a pretty accommodating guy.

Alec

cfraser

Post by cfraser » 18 Dec 2008 05:03

Yes, I could do that when I ask about an all-aluminum clamp. Perhaps such a clamp is not a good idea, he'd likely already know, but it looks like he has similar except threaded just for a VPI so it may not be a totally bad idea. I'd like to keep it light for now, as I am quite liking the sound with the plastic clamp so far, and it weighs nothing. For the coupling effect that is, I have no idea if more weight would benefit me too, but I think the 1 lb Al weight should give some idea of that.

As long as he could mail without requiring a sig *in person* I'd be fine, however I was told UPS no longer offers that, yet I got some conflicting (positive) info in another forum that said that you must specifically ask for it, otherwise they assume by default they must deliver to a person these days. Hell, I had a multi-$k amp sitting on my doorstep for several days and nobody touched it, it's a very safe neighborhood. OTOH, somebody else probably complained about something like that...thus the policy.

cfraser

Post by cfraser » 18 Dec 2008 21:34

OK, talked to Larry. He convinced me I'd probably get the most out of the heavier SuperClamp with my TT, so that's what I'm getting. I also liked that I have the option of using it as a clamp, or as a weight.

However, he *did* have exactly what I was asking for: an all-Al lightweight clamp. It is very new and not on the site yet, soon. Convenient shipping also arranged. Ask and ye shall receive... :)