Hi-Fi rack construction

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Flemo

Hi-Fi rack construction

Post by Flemo » 29 Jul 2008 14:35

Hello All,

I am in the process of designing myself a rack or cabinet to house my TT and amplifier. Due to so much information, spectulation and conflicting opinions out there, I have formed a general plan and seek constructive feedback before constuction commences.

My research has indicated I should not use MDF, glass, marble or metal under components such as TT's and amplifiers.

My current plan is to construct the ends (or sides) of the rack using hardwood. The top (or TT shelf) and other shelves were going to be constructed by making a hardwood frame, rebated to fit a softwood panel. The softwood would likely be 20mm thick pine. Prior to fitting the panel into the hardwood frame, I was going to adhere 2mm thick rubber (laminate flooring underlay) to the top of the panels.

My reasoning for all this is the hardwood frame provides strength and stabilty. The shelves with softwood panel inserts covered with 2mm rubber will sit under the TT and other components. This hopefully will absorb minor vibration as it is more resiliant than the hardwood and may provide a sonic advantage? I also intend spiking the rack to carpet floor.

If any of you have experience or knowledge can you please advise me if I'm on the right path or what other avenues I should be looking at.

Cheers.

Alabama978

Alternative

Post by Alabama978 » 29 Jul 2008 21:08

If you have IKEA stores near you then there is another cheap alternaive that get a good name for isolation.

See my post for links...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=13848

I am about to build one for my TT but do be aware that the legs may not now be solid, however I'll report back on my findings, but in any case my TT stand will not use cut down legs anyway.

As far as I know in my limited knowledge if you are using wood it's better to construct some sort of laminate, but I'm sure some other VE members will be along soon to add their experience and opinions.

Good luck in your project :D

Flemo

Re: Alternative

Post by Flemo » 30 Jul 2008 11:12

Hi Alabama978,

Thanks for the tip regarding the Ikea alternative. I'll attend my local one and have a look. Please let me know how your TT rack turns out.

As for using solid laminates I believe that because it is a compressed and very dense product it would be worse than using MDF or the same as using glass or granite - no resiliance.

Cheers, Flemo.

Alabama978

Post by Alabama978 » 30 Jul 2008 23:24

Hi Flemo,

What I meant to say was a laminate of wood and other material :oops:

Hope to get constructing this weekend. The Lack tables are only GBP 7.99 each so three make a cheap and effective stand by all accounts.

puff daddy

Post by puff daddy » 31 Jul 2008 15:23

small tip, 3 legs better than 4. 2 front, 1 center rear. much easier to level and more stable.... 8)

jake

Post by jake » 31 Jul 2008 15:49

Hey I like the rubber overlay, to break up any reflectiveness of the surface. I have a target rack, which is fine, but have tossed some thin sheets of cork down to keep the shelf from reflecting sound/vibrations.
Your home-made rack may cost more than IKEA, but will probably fit your space requirements better.
IKEA does have a couple of solid wood shelving units, don't get the compressed wood.

These are the best toys in the world to play with-

Cheers

puff daddy

Post by puff daddy » 31 Jul 2008 19:09

still using a target rack that i bought about 10 years ago...tripod, 2 legs front, 1 at center rear. massive spikes sitting in spike shoes.
mine has glass shelves, have stuck on sheets of car sound deading panels, big difference. flick the shelves with finger and totally dead no ringing.