help me spend $1500

radio, tape, stands and accessories
bono

help me spend $1500

Post by bono » 21 Jul 2008 17:47

I am redoing my system as I am not in a place where I can dedicate a room to my music. I am looking at spending around 1500.00 for this system. Here is what I have in mind and please I would really love feed back as I want the best bang for my $$ and I know you guys know your stuff.

Pro Ject Debut lll
Project Phono box ll USB
Pioneer VSX-818V-K Reciever
Paradigm Stylus 170 Loud speakers ( I have a pair of Polk Audio up stairs should I move them down with the new system)

If I am missing anything that you might see me needing please help... Thank you for any feed back I just want to go forth and spend wisely

Cheers!!

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 21 Jul 2008 18:06

hallo,

a reciever is not the best choice for an amplifier,
if you want radio, use your computer.
i would also save the money for new speakers, and use your Polk's for now.
spend the 1500 on a better turntable and good amplifier (with or without phono),
and get a phono stage if neccessary.
spend a bit on some better cables than the free ones that come with the components.
(they are free after all, and sound like it too :roll:)
get a good/better cartridge for your turntable/tonearm combo.

regards,
bastlnut

bono

Post by bono » 21 Jul 2008 18:12

Thank you so much see this is what i wanted feed back you are a great help.

bono

Post by bono » 21 Jul 2008 18:16

Looking at a Marantz PM7001 Integrated Amplifier on line now... Thanks again

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 21 Jul 2008 19:01

hallo,

very welcome.

don't forget to take a look at the KI version of the Marantz.
if there is a HiFi store near you, drop on by and listen to what they have.
you may be surprised by what you hear.

regards,
bastlnut

Wulf

Post by Wulf » 21 Jul 2008 19:04

Go by recommendations not specifications. Some stuff that measures well driving an 8 Ohm resistor on a test bench may sound complete crap when asked to drive a real speaker. With a few exceptions, mid-price Jap amps don't cut it. Something like an older Exposure integrated - the 15 model comes to mind - will blow you away. They don't sell for extortionate sums either. Added to which, Expo's phono stages are legendary. Good hunting!

DaveMillier

Post by DaveMillier » 21 Jul 2008 20:08

I fear there may be some exaggeration here even if the general sense is correct.

I used to use the very well reviewed (in its day) Onix OA21s mimimalist, extraordinarily hair shirt, everything devoted to sound at the expense of everything else integrated amp. I still use it connected to my computer.

But when I bought a Kenwood Dolby SR multi-channel amp for AV (VHS tape) use, I found it sounded perfectly at home as a hifi amp too. I wouldn't swear it sounded exactly the same as the Onix but it was close enough and indeed I found the overall sound with it was better than the Onix because it has useful tone controls.

Later I replaced it with Naim's classic "starter" pre/power amp the NAC42.5/NAP110. I can't say I noticed any particular improvement in the sound so I added the next upgrade in Naim's everlasting upgrade path, the Flatcap external power supply for the pre-amp. I don't believe that made the slightest difference to the sound despite the huge volume of testimony you read.

Personally, I find the hifi mags full of untrustworthy propaganda, hifi dealers not to be trusted and the sincere but contradictory utterances of enthusiasts on internet forums only serve to drive one nuts with indecision and frustration.

In the end, you are a unique individual with unique tastes, listening in a very specific room. All of this adds up to making it important NOT to listen to closely to other's recommendations.

My advice isn't an equipment recommendation but a suggestion: once you've narrowed your preferences down on paper, try and find a way of listening to the stuff in your own room. Beg, borrow, even pay someone for the hire of the kit for a weekend if necessary. That's really the only way of working out whether your choices are right for you.

If you don't you may be lucky, or you make end up like a lot of audio enthusiasts: embarking on a life long hunt for the holy grail which will cost you a great deal in cash, frustration, disappointment and time - which you would have been better spent listening to music. The kit isn't really that important...

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 21 Jul 2008 20:53

hallo,

if a Naim amp sounds about the same as a dolby surround reciever, then there is something very wrong.

i too have a home theatre reciever, actually quite a good one,
but it comes no where near the sound quality of a stereo amplifier.
the phono inputs, if they have any, are a bad alibi.

the best scenario is to be able to demo anything you buy at home.
you can also take your speakers to the amplifier for a demo.
make your own opinions, take some time to listen to some components.
any HiFi store will be honest enough to want to keep you as a customer.
they will also have some used equipment that you will be able to get at a bargain.
don't forget to do some research on any offers too.

regards,
bastlnut

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 21 Jul 2008 23:07

I have to say I find some of the modern japanese amps out there rather pleasing and very capable performers.

I bought my son a Denon PMA 255 the other week to sort out his system in his bedroom and must admit to being quite astounded by its performance.

Likewise I've owned a number of Rotel amps in the past and never once thought they were anything but good.

The problem with the Brit and American sourced amps is trying to find them cheap in the first place.

Given $1500 I'd try sort out the front end first and buy the best possible for around the $1000 mark, then move on to the amp and see what can be obtained for the remaining $500, which I'm sure should see you good in that respect. Hold on to your Polks for the moment and think about a change in the future if you really need too. A good TT and amp may breathe new life in them.

Presuming you're States side a quick visit to http://www.needledoctor.com can give you a good idea of what to expect in the way of TT's at around the $1000 figure. To mind :

Project - Xperience (very well reviewed here in the UK recently)

Music Hall MMF 5.1 (rather attractive looking and from a good background)

The Funk turntable with an RB250 - Now discontinued, but if they are available in stock, just not to be overlooked. Real quality sound from a man who knows what he is doing.

Personally I'd give any of the Technics a miss. But that's me.

Like said steer clear of a tuner/amp as there are some good sources for radio listening without having to break the bank. I'm quite an avid listener of the radio, but prefer a nice 'in the background' source.

bono

Post by bono » 22 Jul 2008 15:15

Thank you again for all your help on this I am going to my local store today. I will now have a clear focus as to what I want. I really wanted to do this right and yet smart and all of you have helped me. Again thanks