ZA members: Death of Willem "Mr Valve" Bouwman

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Steerpike_jhb
long player
long player

ZA members: Death of Willem "Mr Valve" Bouwman

Post by Steerpike_jhb » 10 Jul 2008 18:19

I have just heard that Wim Bouwman - the man behind Mr Valve - was shot dead in the driveway of his home last night.
What a sad day, for his family, for everyone who knew him, and all vintage audio enthusiasts who bought valves (tubes) and other components from him.

I can hardly think of anything to say or write.

I'm hoping someone will tell me I've got it wrong, but this kind of thing is not unusual or rare in South Africa anymore.

j_nienaber

Post by j_nienaber » 12 Jul 2008 05:38

That bloody sucks ROYALLY. I am terribly sorry to hear that. I still have relatives in South Africa (I left 10 years ago) and the things I hear from them - the violence and bloodshed that has become so commonplace - would never be believed by average North Americans.

Again, I am very sorry. I truly hope guys like yourself, Gliding Dutchman, Blue Angel and all the other South Africans on this board will be spared this kind of brutality.

-- Jan in BC, Canada (formerly Pretoria, South Africa)

Paul Murro

Death of Mr. Bouwman

Post by Paul Murro » 12 Jul 2008 17:17

I did not know of or the man ,but I'm truly sorry to hear of this sad
end to any life.Just a note to mr.J.Nienaber more N.Americans Do know
of these things we see it here Every Day!
I just pray that the entire world will some day find better ways to treat the ones around them :cry:

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

ZA Members...

Post by Blue Angel » 23 Jul 2008 23:48

Hi Steerpike

@ Jan

Thanks for posting this very sad news here and thanks for Jan's kind comment.

I never met Willem Bouwman but all my valve equipment had valves bought from Willem, who was among other things, a Leak Stereo 20 owner and a nicer man to do business with you couldn't wish for.

My Cape Town friends and I were 'subscribers' to Wim's newsletter with always an interesting, funny story on the backpage.

Yes, crime is out of control. Murder has become commonplace and there's no respect for the law. One Jackie Selebi (the South African Police Service Commissioner), is due to stand trial for alleged corruption. Unconnected to this, one of his official vehicles (a Landcruiser) was allegedly stolen in Tokyo some time ago. The Commisioner of Police in Cape Town (Mzwandile Petros) has a son currently locked up, awaiting trial for an alleged hijack.

Makes one sink, doesn't it?

blue