A wholehearted recommendation

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

A wholehearted recommendation

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 27 Jun 2008 13:59

I got what seems like the audiophile bargain of the decade recently, it's a silver based contact enhancer called Silclear made by Mapleshade.

I'm a fan of contact cleaners and enhancers but this one kicks the others into the tall grass and the 14g pot I got from eBay for under £20 will probably outlast me. I treated every valve pin, every RCA pin, every banana plug, all the IEC, mains plug pins and fuses in the entire system and it doesn't look like I've used more than half a gram of it!

Its effect is bigger soundstage, more transparency and better top and bottom end - more of everything.

I'm letting a couple of mates try some but if you PM me nicely I'll add you to the queue!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tube-Treatment-fo ... 911.c0.m14

JT

Wulf

Post by Wulf » 27 Jun 2008 16:33

Nice one JT, after reading the blurb I've ordered some too :)

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Re: A wholehearted recommendation

Post by JollyJeweller » 28 Jun 2008 10:16

jon tiltman wrote: I'm letting a couple of mates try some but if you PM me nicely I'll add you to the queue!

JT
PM'd :-)

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » 29 Jun 2008 22:24

You'll be amazed to find that you would have got exactly the same response just from unplugging and cleaning everything with duraglit or similar.

there is nothing to be fixed there that can't be fixed by cheaper means, ie a good rub.

Stick a multimeter in it, see if it even conducts...

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 30 Jun 2008 12:24

sq225917 wrote:You'll be amazed to find that you would have got exactly the same response just from unplugging and cleaning everything with duraglit or similar.

there is nothing to be fixed there that can't be fixed by cheaper means, ie a good rub.

Stick a multimeter in it, see if it even conducts...

It's highly conductive, they say you shouldn't put it on the inside of RCA plugs, only the male pin because it will short circuit across that little insulator.

I've used a variety of contact cleaners and enhancers over the years and yes, elbow grease was one of them. This stuff is really good, it's just ultra finely grated silver in some kind of carrier to enable it to coat.

Considering its price (especially versus that Walker SST) it's a bargain, 14 grams is probably a lifetime's supply.

JT

JollyJeweller
long player
long player

Post by JollyJeweller » 02 Aug 2008 09:53

I tried this last week and it says on the bottle that it takes a few listening hours to work.
Now...it could be that the Koetsu is finally run in, or the new SME V has finally burnt in, but last night the system sounds the best it's ever sounded.

There may also be the Audio equivalent of Beer Goggles ( Wine Ears??) also muddying the waters, but it may well be this stuff really works !

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 02 Aug 2008 11:05

@Jolly,
as long as you hear an improvement, that's good for you!
Regards, bauzace50

Post by Guest » 02 Aug 2008 20:26

Meths and a cotton pad works for me. Sorry and my apologies in advance, but I think its stretching the boundaries to make claims about system performance increases where contact cleaners are involved. A change in hunidity from one day to the next probably makes bigger changes particularly to stylus mounts etc assuming contacts are already clean, but if it makes you happy..!