Diy Blues!

radio, tape, stands and accessories
JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 27 Jun 2008 08:29

I know the feeling. I once fixed an old 1980's Cambridge Audio power amp for a friend and ended up re-soldering 90% of the board and repairing numerous lifting tracks. I think it must have been the result of some secret government test into the viability of using lead-free solder applied by chimps. I understand the method is standard practice now...

Regards,
JaS

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 27 Jun 2008 13:52

Hi,
I bought a decent sized roll of lead/silver solder before the EU ban as you can't mix it with lead free which can cause major headaches when you are doing repairs. Also, as I understand it, companies that had stock of old components with lead solder tinned leads had to dispose of them before the changeover date. I wonder how much went into land fill :wink:

I have no idea if lead-free solder has better conductivity, but considering the military are still allowed to use lead because of reliability problems with lead-free, any advantages are probably outweighed by the negatives.

The theory is probably that lead-free joints will last long enough for the life span of most consumer electronics (1-3 years?) but high end gear is going to suffer if soldering techniques aren't spot on.

Regards,
JaS

Post by Guest » 27 Jun 2008 15:59

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 27 Jun 2008 16:03

DIY Blues? Oh, well - that usually comes up, when I once again think I've finished soldering a cable and then realize that I've forgotten to stick the plug-shell over the cable beforehand... *sigh*

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini