Cleaning a album cover

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Lucas singel
United States of America

Cleaning a album cover

Post by Lucas singel » 24 Jan 2020 01:04

Hopefully you guys can see the picture I attached. I don't know if I did it right I'm stip not use to this site yet, but if you can see the picture you should be able to see gunk on the l.p. cover. I was wondering how I can get this off safely? as this is my favorite record
Attachments
0123201946.jpg
(84.18000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
0123201946a.jpg
(83.34 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

vanakaru

Re: Cleaning a album cover

Post by vanakaru » 24 Jan 2020 08:10

It depends what material(print, lamination) is used for the cover. Also what is this dirt(food, mildew, cocktail). I have used lightly damp cloth to wipe quickly and and dry with kitchen towel. Adhesive residue comes off with gasoline(airplane) or white-spirit and seems not to dissolve the print color. Alcohol takes print off pretty quick. Light color covers are easier to clean.
From the picture I am not able to tell what is it.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 24 Jan 2020 09:27

Cleaning a album cover ?............................ Cleaning AN album cover ....?

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 15 Feb 2020 13:49

Yes, it depends on what the "gunk" is. If the sleeve is laminated you are more likely to have a successful clean. Assuming the "gunk" is water based, I would start with a damp cloth, and if that didn't work a damp cloth with a small amount of detergent. Only lightly wipe for a brief moment, you don't want the paper absorbing moisture as this will cause damage.
If that doesn't work, you can try other cleaning fluids/alcohol, but wipe very lightly and only have the fluid on the album sleeve for the shortest amount of time. These options are dangerous, as they will lift off the printing. Be careful.

peter62590

Post by peter62590 » 15 Feb 2020 18:40

Your cover doesn't seem to be laminated but have a mate aspect.
I already seen black flat mate prints becoming darker because of frictions against another flat surface (in this case a digipack dvd cover : plastic against paper)
There is nothing you can do here.

If it is only dirt :
I would use a soft and clean (new) paint brush, distilled water with a very little dishes soap for the fat of fingerprints and paper towels (or better, some white blotting paper). You are not cleaning a saucepan.
Clean up dry first all the dust with the brush.
No fat ? No soap. Just distilled water.
Do it quickly enough without pressing too much and don't use too much liquid. Dry immediately with the paper and let it dry completely. Make a try on another surface before it.
If it is hot enough at home, you can do it cevral times.
You can find some neutral ph dishes soap. The acidity of a product is bad for the paper.

Don't use alcohal.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 15 Feb 2020 23:19

Matt black printed covers can be marked with fingerprints. Not much can be done with those.
I put my LP's in plastic sleeves to protect them from wear and dirt.

Rog Beltmann
United States of America

Post by Rog Beltmann » 16 Feb 2020 00:51

Flitz will remove glue without damaging the cover. I've heard wd40 or Vaseline will also work I touch up the worn edges or damage with my 50 set of multi color marking pens to match color. Finally use a fine mist of Glass guitar polish and do the whole cover. It'll remove any finger prints or dirt because that what it's made to do on Guitars. Polish with a cotton cloth. The results can be astounding. Most of my repairs are on resale or flea market finds. Lemon Pledge also does a decent job if your fast (water based). Water and album covers don't mix well. You may get pock marks. Gibson guitar polish has more cleaner so the finish is more matte in appearance.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 16 Feb 2020 08:42

Rog Beltmann wrote:
16 Feb 2020 00:51
... I've heard wd40 or Vaseline will also work ...
I'd be wary of wd40 because it could be absorbed into the card and smell for a long time, and vaseline would make it greasy. But nice to hear someone else using the maker trick to retouch scuffs/scrapes.

Rog Beltmann
United States of America

Post by Rog Beltmann » 16 Feb 2020 14:33

Out of curiosity I tried WD40 and Vaseline on a small area of an old album cover this morning. Rubbed it on with my fingers and let it sit for awhile then polished with a cotton cloth. There was no damage, smell or residue. If I have doubts about the effectiveness of a new product I always try it out first on something that I don't care about to see if there are any consequences.