Warning Pro-ject VC-E

radio, tape, stands and accessories
backtotheblack

Warning Pro-ject VC-E

Post by backtotheblack » 27 Dec 2019 19:41

i recently purchased one of these RCM's and while it does a decent job there is a huge design flaw. the empty/exhaust tank hole is on the top so when in use it blows the used fluid back onto the underside of the record :evil:

https://i.postimg.cc/xCSxvtyk/VC-E.jpg

looks like i'll need to fabricate a diverter for it.

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Warning Pro-ject VC-E

Post by rewfew » 28 Dec 2019 21:49

And I bet that cost a hunk of money. Amazing lack of engineering forethought.

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 30 Dec 2019 09:14

Stumbled on this topic yesterday...
We had a discussion about it in a turntable FB group and decided to ask Pro-Ject what they where thinking by placing that vent/drain hole underneath a clamped on record...

Regarding the Pro-Ject VC-E:
Me and a few others where wondering about the vent hole underneath the record when one is clamped on, which is also the drain hole... How is it prevented that incoming splashing fluid from the suction is not sprayed through that vent hole back on the record? Also when the reservoir is emptied, before cleaning another record that vent hole must be dry otherwise it for sure will spray leftovers onto the record...
So concluding: we think the vent hole/drain hole is in a very inconvenient place... Could you explain why that location was chosen, and if there was no other possible place on that plate, why the airflow was not bend away from the record by placing some kind of elbow on top of that opening? Best regards

Lets see what they come up with...

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 30 Dec 2019 15:34

i sent an email to Henley Audio who are the agent in the UK for Pro-Ject and this is the reply...
Thanks for your enquiry,
You're correct that the exhaust does vent up under the spinning record but incorrect in thinking there is any dirty fluid being applied to the underside of the record.
All that comes out is air and perhaps some cleaning fluid vapour.
There are not dissolved particles in the vapour though, these remain in the tank.
so what they are trying to say is that the used cleaning fluid vapour does not contain oil, tobacco and other nasty solubles in it. i smell bull, just like the brush which stinks of Pig.

this is the second VC-E i have got as the first was broken on arrival.

looks like i'm going to have to send this back and get the bigger brother, just as well its on sale at the moment.

i think they know they have messed up so if your wanting one then i would wait a few months when the price plummets as people start sending them back.

TBH ICBA sending it back and i'm thinking of just capping the hole at the top and drilling another in the side into the bottle, which is just one of the 500ml mixing bottle they supply with the machine.

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 30 Dec 2019 18:09

backtotheblack wrote:
30 Dec 2019 15:34
so what they are trying to say is that the used cleaning fluid vapour does not contain oil, tobacco and other nasty solubles in it.
One way to find out:
Make a cover of clear white paper on top of that hole in such way the air can still go out and that the paper it self is not touching the underside of the record...
It will be soon be clear whether your concerns are valid...

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 30 Dec 2019 19:09

that sounds like a good plan.

still its letting vapour, no matter what or what it does not contain back onto the nice clean dry A side (if you do that one first). its like leaving the cleaning fluid on the record without vacuuming it off.

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 31 Dec 2019 00:44

well i made a little "hood" for the vent and it works perfect. the hood was made of paper and double sided stick tape to test the vapour but it had the added benefit of deflecting the vapour so not to cause any more problems :-)

still think its a bad design having to make something to "rectify" the problem.

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 15 Jan 2020 00:39

well i sent it back and now they are trying to say there is nothing wrong.

i have a sneaky suspicion they know about the problem but are bullshizzing people. its a design flaw and they know it. i can see me having to fight to get my money back

strange how Richer Sounds in the UK who are huge Pro-Ject dealers dont stock the RCM's...... do they know something?

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 15 Jan 2020 06:02

No reaction back from Pro-Ject yet...
Pitty, I do like to see that hole location being explained, although I won't swap my 2010 Okki for it...