Question for VPI 16.5 owners

radio, tape, stands and accessories
fitnessinstbob
United States of America

Question for VPI 16.5 owners

Post by fitnessinstbob » 15 Dec 2019 01:15

I have a VPI 16.5 i bought in 1995 and recently taken out of storage. It has the the foam mat which i updated to the cork mats and the older style vacuum tube and holder, which i have also updated.
From what i've read, the vacuum tube should be rotated counter clockwise so that the slit in between the felt pads is slightly off center and facing away from the user when its mounted on the spring. This is suppose to allow for the maximum pickup of liquid.
This can't be done with the new style tube because it has a slot that fits into a pin on the holder .So now, the felt pads face directly down.There isn't enough clearance to rotate the tube. Anyone have an issue with the tube not picking up all the liquid from the viny surface? Seems like a bad design.

Thanks

kalaur

Re: Question for VPI 16.5 owners

Post by kalaur » 15 Dec 2019 07:06

Even with the pin on the holder, you can still rotate the pickup tube a small amount.
fitnessinstbob wrote:
15 Dec 2019 01:15
From what i've read, the vacuum tube should be rotated counter clockwise so that the slit in between the felt pads is slightly off center and facing away from the user when its mounted on the spring.
This is conflicting. With the holder in your hand, and the tube closer to your face, this is clockwise rotation which makes the slot slightly face away when it is installed in the 16.5. It doesn't take much rotation to have an affect.

Make sure the height of the holder is adjusted properly, there is a small collar on the holder with a set screw. The felt pads should be touching the vinyl (note that weight of the vinyl will have an affect on this).

On my unit I turn off the vacuum after 1.5 rotations, and it continues to stick to the vinyl for probably another revolution. Sometimes there is a tiny bit of moisture left behind, but this evaporates quickly (low humidity here).

fitnessinstbob
United States of America

Post by fitnessinstbob » 15 Dec 2019 12:25

Thank you for your reply. Yes you’re correct, clockwise, I got that reversed! When I try to rotate it,it’s so slight it doesn’t seem to make a difference, but I’ll try it again.
I do have the tube holder set correctly so that the felt pads are touching the record as it turns. I can see the moisture inside the tube so perhaps it’s picking up enough of the liquid. I do see a little bit left on the record after I turn off the vacuum, but it does evaporate quickly.

fitnessinstbob
United States of America

Post by fitnessinstbob » 15 Dec 2019 15:54

I was able to rotate the tube clockwise but ever so slightly. It looks like this should be enough to pick up more of the liquid.
I also use three cork mats. The first cork mat is stuck to the platter. And then I use a clean mat and a dirty mat. When I put on an album to clean, i use the dirty mat. Once the one side is clean, I’ll turn it over, replace the dirty mat with a clean mat and put the clean side down on the clean cork mat. This way the clean cork mat always stays clean. I use a Mofi sleeve as a spacer to determine the vacuum tube holder height.
So far this method has worked well. I picked up this tip from another member.

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 17 Dec 2019 07:37

I also tried the additional cork mat trick, but ended up just trimming two vinyl inner sleeves to fit on top of the stock cork mat, and punched a hole for the spindle. Easier to clean than the cork, and seems like less dust sticks to it. Since they are so thin, there's no need to 'swap' them, just place the second one on top for the 'B' side of the album, and pull it back off before the next album.

If you think you want/need more rotation of the tube, you could pull it out and use a dremel or small file to make a notch where the pin hits. If you do go down this route, be sure to take pics and let us know how it goes.

Also check under 'Music And Records' forum, there's a subforum specific for record cleaning - viewforum.php?f=53

Good luck with the cleaning!

fitnessinstbob
United States of America

Post by fitnessinstbob » 18 Dec 2019 22:27

Thanks, good advice.
Hadn’t thought of the record sleeves as an option to the cork mats. Yes probably easier to clean.
I still have my old vacuum tubes. I could put on some new felt pads on those. Easier to turn the tube inside the holder since there’s no pin.
I’ll check out the subforum regarding record cleaning.

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 19 Dec 2019 01:06

You can certainly replace the felt on the tubes. I have a roll of 3M double sided tape that is 10mm wide, and picked up a roll of 3/8" felt ribbon from the local fabric store. (I think 1/4" wide felt is plenty, just 3/8" fits my 10mm double sided tape well) After ripping off the old felt, acetone should clean up the old glue, but beware it will start to haze the clear tube. After cleaning, trim a length of double sided tape to each side of the slit in the tube, and then apply the felt ribbon. Just note the edge of the felt will 'shed' a bit, so I make the double sided tape a tiny bit long and try to mash the end of the felt to the pad to minimize the shedding.
Give them a good rinse, and you're good to go for more cleaning! The quality of the tape is what will keep it stuck even when wet. I tried some cheaper double sided tape, and it would start to loosen up when wet for a long time. 3M tape with 300LSE adhesive works well, this is the exact adhesive on the backs of the mofi felt brushes too.

fitnessinstbob
United States of America

Post by fitnessinstbob » 19 Dec 2019 13:41

Nice! So you can use felt ribbon from the fabric store which is essentially the same as the more expensive audiophile strips.
I think we have a fabric store in town. I can take my old vacuum tube down and compare it to what they have.