Auto tonearm lifters

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Festy

Auto tonearm lifters

Post by Festy » 15 Oct 2019 02:05

As owner of an old upgraded Rega Planar 3, I am getting frustrated by some records that don't hold the stylus at the end of an album, allowing the stylus to slide across the labels before I get to lift the arm. Is anyone using an auto lift device on their tone arms, and if so, which ones are recommended, especially for use on my Rega?

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Re: Auto tonearm lifters

Post by goatbreath » 15 Oct 2019 08:17

I have a couple of Q ups,overpriced plastic things,but they do work well..
Don't know if they are too tall for a Rega..
Also fiddly to get placed just right..

jvcforce
United States of America

Post by jvcforce » 15 Oct 2019 15:21

I've made auto tonearm lifter for Technics SL-1200 mk2 before. (posted a video clip here before.) I used IR beam sensor, so sensor does not touch tonearm at all. I positioned IR beam sensor so that when counterweight break IR beam, an attached servo motor (attached to arm lift knob) would lift up tonearm.
It worked well, but it didn't look good (I made frame with LEGO block and glue gun), so I took it down.
I want to make it, so it would look less bulky...

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 16 Oct 2019 02:41

There have been a number made over the years, LittleFwend (or something like that), StyLift, Q Up, Tru-Lift, audio technica safety raiser, and more. Some work well, others find they are less reliable or not suited to their particular arm/tt.

I look forward to an ir-remote controlled lifter/descender becoming available, so the listener is always in control and there are no concerns with problems with some records having different positions for the lead-out. Being able to wait until seated before lowering the arm is a bonus. The technology is cheap - IR motorised volume pot, controller board and remote can kits be bought for about $20 from ebay, and has all the technology required for an arm lifter. A longer-term project I have is to see if I can adapt one of those kits for the purpose.

jvcforce
United States of America

Post by jvcforce » 16 Oct 2019 14:41

AudioFeline wrote:
16 Oct 2019 02:41
There have been a number made over the years, LittleFwend (or something like that), StyLift, Q Up, Tru-Lift, audio technica safety raiser, and more. Some work well, others find they are less reliable or not suited to their particular arm/tt.
None of the add-on tonearm lifter / riser works electrically, which I found it a bit odd. My DIY tonearm (made with an Arduino board, IR break sensor, and servomotor) lifter did not require to "reset", like Q-UP or other lifters mentioned. It worked well, just that it it looked bulky and sloppy looking.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 17 Oct 2019 00:27

Agreed JV. The mechanical raisers were a good and simple solution in their day. Nowdays there is excellent technology which is cheap that could be implemented. I'm surprised that current implementations use this old approach when there is so much room for better approaches.