Personal Lathe

Post by fscl » 11 Oct 2019 03:54

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Personal Lathe

Post by Tonybro » 11 Oct 2019 08:28

Nothing about how much the blank discs are or how to get hold of them...

Price isn't too bad for the unit but if blanks are £/€/$20 each you might as well not bother.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 11 Oct 2019 15:13

Hardly the first consumer device to make records. Don't see the point beyond novelty.

Not expensive enough to be a truly decent lathe and too expensive for a toy.

Cutting records is an art. Just cause you own a paint brush doesn't mean you are Vincent Van Gogh.

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 11 Oct 2019 18:05

pivot wrote:
11 Oct 2019 15:13
Not expensive enough to be a truly decent lathe and too expensive for a toy.
I think this is basically a correct analysis, along with Tonybro's point about blanks. Even if this product was to become successfull, in the sense it works well, I'd be worried about longterm availability of blanks. If the company disappears in a couple of years, you'd be left with an expensive but ultimately useless piece of machinery... on the other hand, making blank vinyl discs should be a much simpler affair than pressing records, so someone else would possibly be able to continue producing blanks, provided there was sufficient demand... Limiting themselves to 10" records also seems like a weird choice, but probably has got something to due with copyright concerns (to make it impossible to copy a full-lenght LP).

Thus far, they haven't provided any technical details on their website about how it all actually works, which doesn't really inspire confidence in the product or the seriousness of the project.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 11 Oct 2019 19:09

It looks interesting and I don't doubt that something could be made to sell for ~$1100 which will cut decent records, but not providing 12" capability is a big downside. Also it looks like it has no VU meters or anything of that sort. Will there be provision to adjust levels or just some ALC sort of thing? I suppose it depends on the market which they are going for.

Phil
fscl wrote:
11 Oct 2019 03:54
D-I-Y 10” vinyl records :-k

https://www.wired.com/story/phonocut/

https://phonocut.com/

Fred

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 11 Oct 2019 19:10

....and note that nowhere in the specs does it mention the word "stereo".

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 11 Oct 2019 20:07

Coffee Phil wrote:
11 Oct 2019 19:09
It looks interesting and I don't doubt that something could be made to sell for ~$1100 which will cut decent records, but not providing 12" capability is a big downside. Also it looks like it has no VU meters or anything of that sort. Will there be provision to adjust levels or just some ALC sort of thing? I suppose it depends on the market which they are going for.

Phil
As I understand it from the Wired article, some kind of computer program does all the calculations as to how much music fits on each disc, supposedly it takes levels into account... It seems the intention is for the user to be able to control the machine through a smartphone app, I suppose that's where one would be able to do any adjustments rather than on the machine itself.

I also think it should be possible to build a working "home lathe" at this price point, but from the way they present themselves and their project on their website, I'm not sure these guys have the know-how to really succeed... At this stage it seems more like some kind of "analog retro lifestyle" pipe dream by a bunch of hipsters without sufficient understanding of what actually goes into making a good vinyl record...

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 11 Oct 2019 21:20

I'm curious how long the diamond in the 'cutterhead' lasts, carving a groove in a hard vinyl disc - also where the vinyl swarf gets removed too. The diamond wouldn't last (performing optimally) for a very long time.
I wonder if the deep pocket hipster who buys one of these to impress their friends will consider that. 8-[

Diamonds are used professionally in DMM mastering, sapphire for lacquer.

It would be a fun toy to play with for sure. I'll want to see some YouTube videos of this things records to see how they sound. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm betting about a 4. Not to be negative, just realistic.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 11 Oct 2019 21:45

So you have the digital sound file and you cut an analog disc from it. You have added an analog generation to the source....it may sound different but it can't sound "better". What have you gained? I don't see a point.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 11 Oct 2019 21:50

You could make a lovey-dovey mix record for your partner or whatever. Make record to take to a party. Make a record of yourself belching, etc.