Final issues of hi fi magazines

radio, tape, stands and accessories
lenjack
long player
long player

Final issues of hi fi magazines

Post by lenjack » 17 Sep 2019 22:26

I was a long time subscriber to the 3 major vintage magazines, covering the field, those being, Audio, High Fidelity, and Stereo Review. I just finished reading through all the back issues of the last 2, and most of the first. Yes, it took over 4 months. It was particularly interesting to see how each of them changed their approaches as the times, and the technology evolved.

In it's final issue of 7/89, High Fidelity, without notice, announced it was it's last issue, thanked its readers and subscribers, and said good bye. Stereo Review, in it's final issue of 1/98, said it was merging, and would become Stereo Review's Sound and Vision. Audio, in it's final issue of 2-3/2000, simply shut down with absolutely no notice or warning. To my knowledge, subscribers were no in any way notified there would be no further issues. The editor's column was it's usual cheery self.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how Audio's subscribers were alerted to this fiasco. No, it's not urgent...I'm just curious.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: Final issues of hi fi magazines

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 17 Sep 2019 23:53

I too subscribed to Stereo Review for many years, thinking it was most representative of my view of the hobby. As the focus shifted upward to more pricey equipment and expanded focus on home theater in the larger market, I let my subscription lapse, not being into home theater in any real sense. There is a fairly good history of the magazine on Wikipedia, and describes the general pattern of today where previously independent publications lose their competitiveness in the market, and are either shuttered or bought up by corporate raiders. A sign of the times, with many a fine company either gutted of it's talent or dismantled and dissolved in it's entirety. While some individuals or conglomerates turn an easy profit, we all lose variety and depth to our culture. Truly sad. Nothing as far as how ruthless and uncaring the subscriptions were dealt with as far as I could find however. :evil:

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 18 Sep 2019 01:07

I am very familiar with the Wikipedia entry. I am dating myself, but I subscribed to Stereo Review continuously from my college days in 1961, to it's demise, and was not happy with it's emphasis shift to home theater and video, in it's last few years.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 18 Sep 2019 01:09

Count me in also as a Stereo Review subscriber.
I read each issue several times cover to cover... particularly the great hardware reviews from the Hirsch Houck Audio Labs. :)

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 18 Sep 2019 01:13

I reread them for the Charles Rodrigues cartoons. Over the years, I cut many of them out, and put them in a scrapbook. Every now and then, my wife wonders what's going on when she hears me laughing my head off. :D :lol: :lol: :wink: