Wollensak reel to reel

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Ghaasl
United States of America

Wollensak reel to reel

Post by Ghaasl » 11 Aug 2019 13:58

I got gifted one of these last Tuesday. It’s supposed to be in working condition. I have yet to test due to a stressful family event. If it is truly in working condition (cosmetically it is really nice for a 53 year old deck), is it worth anything?

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Wollensak reel to reel

Post by lenjack » 11 Aug 2019 15:53

Check on ebay under completed deals to see if any others are listed. I doubt it has much value.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 24 Aug 2019 14:32

The decision has been made to keep the r to r deck. My wife said it fits nicely into the downstairs motif. It does play, currently Perry Como. I need to take it apart and give it a good cleaning (volume pots are scratchy) and the drive motor is a bit noisy. The tape head and capstan are also quite dirty. As far as the pots, I’ll be using Deoxit D5. Is 91% isopropyl alcohol okay to use on the head and capstan? I’d be cleaning them with a q-tip.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 24 Aug 2019 19:12

Wollensak made some decent stuff. They made the highly regarded dolby Advent cassette deck in the early 70's.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 24 Aug 2019 19:33

Wollensak had roots in the US with 3M and in Japan it was either Onkyo or Sanyo (my memory is rusty on this point). They also made educator tape decks in the 1960's and 70's. My understanding is that they were built like tanks. I am glad you are getting enjoyment from it. 91% isopropyl alcohol is fine for cleaning the heads on a regular basis. I have heard that it will dry out the rubber pinch roller though. While I use alcohol on my rubber tire, I have heard that Windex is safer. Rubber Renue is a horrible chemical that can rejuvenate the tire if it is aged or glazed. Be VERY sure to open windows and ventilate WELL when using it.