J-Corder Record Clamp

radio, tape, stands and accessories
AudioFeline
Australia

Re: J-Corder Record Clamp

Post by AudioFeline » 09 Oct 2019 07:01

No worries H., we "lol"ed a lot at the fast re-assessment. It must have been a slow day for their engineers!

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 10 Oct 2019 06:18

Ah, ok. I just wanted to clarify as a day later it appeared to me that my comment could be misunderstood.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 16 Oct 2019 02:48

Thanks, I understood the intent of your LOL. The fast turnaround after the long run-around always makes me LOL when I think about it.
These companies don't have any idea of the long-term loss contemptuous customer service has, yet they cry "hard-done-by" when their sales drop.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 18 Oct 2019 05:10

...at least they still are somewhat concerned about their reputation:

"Boss, the customer said he would tell this on the internet."

"Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Ok, wait 30 minutes, say you have reassessed and give free replacement! We can´t afford such a story to get into the internet...we have a reputation to loose!"

I mean fun aside, an enterprise also has to make profit so they cannot afford to give free replacement all the time when they´re a rather small company, but such a big player like Sony really should be able to provide good customer service.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 18 Oct 2019 10:58

Your scenario is just like I imagined it to happen!

However, the scenario is more than just customer service. In my land there is consumer law that says that if, within a reasonable time, the item fails or does not do what it was described to do, the purchaser is entitled to a replacement or a refund. And the big corporation tried to get around it.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 20 Oct 2019 05:11

Seems like they have a "guideline" to save money... wherever possible.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 21 Oct 2019 05:18

AudioFeline wrote:
07 Oct 2019 07:28
Why the turnaround - first they said that they don't have replacements, then they send you one? Did you mention that you had posted the story here?
No, I did not tell them I posted anything about this situation on any website, nor did I make any threat to do so. I let the facts speak for themselves without any undue positioning.

Yes, I did actually post this warning to others about my experience with this clamp on this website and also another website geared more towards tape recorders but with a turntable section. Tape recorder modifications and supplies are their main business, and I believe they do have a good reputation, though I have never used them for any of my tape recorders because mine aren't the brand they specialize in. For the record, I also posted that they had resolved the issue to my complete satisfaction immediately on both websites. Yes, it took a little while for resolution but I was patient and polite. In the end they stood behind the product and provided the replacement collet. I have no complaint about them and was happy that they helped me. I think it's hard for small companies to figure out where to draw the line between good customer service and getting ripped off, so I do understand their initial hesitation to provide a replacement part. Small companies sometimes empower the wrong people to deal with customer service issues versus an actual full-time customer service person. However, to repeat myself : "All is well that ends well". I commend them for choosing the "good customer service" path.

There was a comment made about heavy clamps being bad for main bearings, which I disagree with as a generalization. If the main bearing is skimpy on an inexpensive turntable then sure everything causes excessive wear, however I built this turntable from the ground up and it has a VERY robust main bearing that you could basically stand on. It's a hardened steel spindle shaft with its bottom machined perfectly flat and then polished like a mirror. The flat polished end sits on a ceramic ball centered in the bottom of a wet oil sump, and the whole bearing sump is a 5 inch diameter and 2 inch thick solid aluminum puck sleeved with a hand finished bronze oil-lite bearing sleeve that was hydraulically pressed into the sump. Synthetic straight 20 weight oil fills the sump, and there is no way for it to leak out as there is no hole in the bottom of the sump. In addition to over-engineering the main bearing there is a secondary ball bearing pulley opposite the motor drive pulley to offset any overturning forces on the main bearing from the motor pulling one way on the drive belt.