power conditioners

radio, tape, stands and accessories
sunderwood
United States of America

power conditioners

Post by sunderwood » 07 Jul 2019 01:17

Do the components in power conditioners deteriorate over time like the components in other equipment so that it is not filtering out line noise as it once did? I am not talking about anything that would be caused by something unusual or by issues with power surges, but just everyday use. I have a P S Audio upc 200 that I know I have been using at least ten years. The reason I ask this is that the other day I decided to see what my system would sound like by just plugging my integrated amp directly into the wall. While this was not blind A/B testing I feel that the sound was a little more live sounding.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: power conditioners

Post by jdjohn » 15 Jul 2019 15:49

I wouldn't think the components in those wear out, especially after just 10 years. The primary parts are a configuration of coils and magnets, so pretty solid. Vintage gear pushing 40+years can definitely benefit from new electrolytic capacitors, but that's a different story. PS Audio is pretty responsive and customer-friendly, so you could reach out to them and ask the question. They also have a generous trade-up policy if you're ready to upgrade.

I personally keep my power amp plugged into a wall socket, and source components plugged into a PSA power conditioner. I think that's the typically suggested configuration, so that the power amp has no restriction on pulling juice. Since an integrated amp needs to draw unrestricted power as well, it makes sense that it might sound better straight into the wall. But you might consider an upgraded power cord if that is an option for your unit.

You might find that your results change depending on what other electrical devices in your house are running at the time of listening/testing, such that using the PC helps sometimes, but is not needed other times.

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 17 Jul 2019 22:21

I have had the upc200 for almost 15 years, so I decided it was time for an upgrade. After reading reviews from professional reviewers and user reviews on the P S Audio Niagara 1000 I decided to get the Niagara 1200 which was just released. It has one more high current outlet than the 1000 and is very well made. It also costs the same as the 1000. I have been listening to my system a few days now plugged into it and it is obvious that the detail and cleanness of sound has improved.

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 18 Jul 2019 00:25

Correction: The Niagara 1000 and 1200 are audioquest products.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 18 Jul 2019 22:37

Cool. A good friend of mine has one of those new Niagara PCs (can't remember which model), and he likes it a lot.