Signal processing - equalizers/tone controls

radio, tape, stands and accessories
JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Signal processing - equalizers/tone controls

Post by JoeE SP9 » 22 Sep 2019 13:42

You don't need custom designed speakers. You need good ones. Off the shelf work well if chosen with judiciousness and placed properly.

No amount of equalization will produce what isn't in the recording. For bass shy pop/rock recordings a subharmonic synthesizer will give more bass although it isn't real.

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 23 Sep 2019 16:15

JoeE SP9 wrote:
22 Sep 2019 13:42
You don't need custom designed speakers. You need good ones. Off the shelf work well if chosen with judiciousness and placed properly.
Work well in a good room. Sure. But can still work even better.
JoeE SP9 wrote:
No amount of equalization will produce what isn't in the recording.
Well of course not. So it is a good thing that producing something from nothing is not the purpose of an EQ. The primary purpose of an EQ in a playback/listening environment should be to compensate for interaction of speakers and the room. The better the speakers and room the less compensation needed. There are also other processing capabilities beyond EQ that can improve the speaker/room combination. Things like standing wave, phase alignment, reverb (room liveliness), etc.
JoeE SP9 wrote:
For bass shy pop/rock recordings a subharmonic synthesizer will give more bass although it isn't real.
An EQ can be used to alter "real" content. Though maybe one should get better content or use the EQ to improve the listening environment instead.

In a well tuned listening environment there should be no need for additional tone control of good source content.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 23 Sep 2019 23:07

FWIW:
Neither my stereo preamp or my HT processor have tone controls. I don't miss them as I haven't had tone controls since the middle 1980's

I have a dedicated and acoustically treated room. A calibrated mic and REW were used to measure the room and set the controls on my DSP. I don't second guess those settings. All I do is turn the volume up or down.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 24 Sep 2019 14:54

All of my amps have tone controls. Some have tone bypass too. Most of the time I set them flat or on bypass, and those that I do adjust slightly off flat, I set and forget about. I don't think it is something you should be constantly fiddling with.

As far as loudness controls go, the variable kind as used on my Yamaha CR-1000 or Mitsubishi DA-R35 are way better than the push button variety.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 24 Sep 2019 23:56

The one thing I miss from the ARC SP-3 I used to have is the variable loudness control. When used properly a variable loudness control comes closer to what/how loudness is supposed to work than any single switch.

A single loudness switch is usually connected to a 50% loudness tap on the volume control. When engaged you get progressively more boost as the control is lowered from 50%. That doesn't take into account that while a pair of Klipsch are piss the neighbors off loud at 9:00 a pair of AR-3's are just getting to a reasonable volume at 12:00. Does anyone really think that a single switch setting can adequately work for both speakers?

Incidentally, that switch produces little to no boost once you get past 50% rotation of the volume control. OTOH a variable control is referenced to the loudest volume one intends using. The loudness control is used to lower the volume from that level. It produces progressively more boost as the control is turned down. This is regardless of the position of the volume control.