How To Set Up Akai Reel To Reel Player With Turntable

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Radioman69
Malaysia

How To Set Up Akai Reel To Reel Player With Turntable

Post by Radioman69 » 12 Jun 2019 14:59

I like to record music from the vinyl to tape with my Akai 1710 reel to reel record player. I notice there are two RCA openings called PHONO RADIO INPUTS.

Is this where I plug in my turntable cables. Do I need to connect my turntable to my amplifier?

bernard1
France

Re: How To Set Up Akai Reel To Reel Player With Turntable

Post by bernard1 » 12 Jun 2019 15:38

The manual (see https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... 1710.shtml) says that you can plug your turntable directly in your tape recorder, but that is only true for ceramic cartridges.
If you use a MM or MC cartridge on your turntable, the way to go is to plug the turntable into the receiver phono input, then plug a cable from the receiver tape output to the tape recorder line input.

Radioman69
Malaysia

Post by Radioman69 » 12 Jun 2019 16:06

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Radioman69
Malaysia

Post by Radioman69 » 13 Jun 2019 13:57

by the way, the playback head and the erase head are pretty worn out. Where can I find these parts?

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 13 Jun 2019 20:39

You may not be able to find replacement heads that are in any better condition... Best to get the originals re-lapped, but once they are removed, they need to be reinstalled and calibrated, which is no small feat. If the entire head block with heads comes off in one piece, that's how it should be shipped out. I'm not sure if the entire head block comes off that deck, or if the heads are independent. You may try asking at tapeheads.net where I am also a member, but there is a TON of knowledge there specific to tape and decks.