Advice for a record cabinet I'm building

radio, tape, stands and accessories
truedeth
United States of America

Re: Advice for a record cabinet I'm building

Post by truedeth » 03 Jun 2019 06:51

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
03 Jun 2019 04:28
I would mention a couple of things learned from cabinets/racks I have owned. A fully loaded cabinet with equipment and LPs becomes quite heavy and awkward to move if necessary. Adjustable casters may be a thought there, and sufficiently sturdy materials and fasteners is a must. Having sufficient room to both fit and maneuver everything inside the cabinet will make using it much more pleasant. Finally, give serious consideration to air flow and cable routing needs. It is a royal pain to have to struggle with snaking cables and cords about to add or remove components. Isolating can be easily accomplished with carpets or rubber mats under the area where the cabinet is to sit. The mass of the cabinet and contents will serve to neutralize most significant vibration before it affects the TT in any way. A relatively fun and easy project that could be very satisfying if done well. Think quality construction for a quality long time enjoyment of the unit! Best of luck, and we're all interested in how the project turns out. :)
Fortunately all I need to snake around is the cable to my TT and the cable to my tv. It's a pretty basic setup and my turntable is pretty sturdy with being jostled so I'm not too worried about vibrations. I wish I could use casters but my apartment is old and the floors have a slant to them :(

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 03 Jun 2019 11:48

For support, you could also do a “truss rod” that has a bump under the center of the shelf (underneath) and the rod able to be tightened at each end of the shelf- tightening applies upward pressure to the shelf center to counter the weight. Same concept as a guitar neck. Made plenty of those in the past...

This just allows you to use much thinner material (rated for half the span) with no “obvious” support for a clean, delicate look.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 03 Jun 2019 16:39

Yo trudeth:

I can't get VE to accept pictures from my computer, but I can make some pix if you want them. Just send me a PM with your email. What I do is I attach a 2 x 2 to the bottom front and back edge of the shelf, and I miter 2 x 2 into the left and right edges. I use glue and fine nails to hold the 2 x 2 to the shelves, and then I screw the shelves to the sides of the cabinets and use wood filler to cover the holes from the nails and the screws. The shelves are then 2 1/4 inch thick, but only on the edges (3/4 inch plywood plus 1 1/2 inch for the 2 x 2)

And good luck from that screwed on old guy,

Joe Z.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 03 Jun 2019 16:48

josephazannieri wrote:
03 Jun 2019 16:39
Yo trudeth:

I can't get VE to accept pictures from my computer, but I can make some pix if you want them. Just send me a PM with your email. What I do is I attach a 2 x 2 to the bottom front and back edge of the shelf, and I miter 2 x 2 into the left and right edges. I use glue and fine nails to hold the 2 x 2 to the shelves, and then I screw the shelves to the sides of the cabinets and use wood filler to cover the holes from the nails and the screws. The shelves are then 2 1/4 inch thick, but only on the edges (3/4 inch plywood plus 1 1/2 inch for the 2 x 2)

And good luck from that screwed on old guy,

Joe Z.
I think I have an idea what you are talking about. I plan on routing out a groove for the shelves and not sure where I'm going after that. But the bracing angle is a good idea. Also someone else mentioned using a tension rod to keep things from sagging. I'm not sure if my clearances will allow a 2×2 bracing method like you mentioned. I will probably use wood glue and screws to assemble and not sure if I will stain it or paint it...

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 03 Jun 2019 23:59

If you stain it, you can get a plug cutter and make plus out of the same wood. Alignbthe grain and it will be near impossible to find them when finished.

I’d probably paint the interior and stain the exterior, if you have wood furniture/trim. Our trim is painted white so my shelves are raw white oak.

b+v8an

Post by b+v8an » 04 Jun 2019 15:10

I am surprised no one has offered an alternative to building a cabinet. Craigslist ! You can find real nice entertainment centers,or cabinets,for real cheap these days.Solid oak,for free,why not ? Cut off the TV side,done.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 04 Jun 2019 16:15

b+v8an wrote:
04 Jun 2019 15:10
I am surprised no one has offered an alternative to building a cabinet. Craigslist ! You can find real nice entertainment centers,or cabinets,for real cheap these days.Solid oak,for free,why not ? Cut off the TV side,done.
I thought of doing that but I want to have a dedicated thing for audio and not a makeshift solution. Ideally I would love to have a vintage 70s or 80s Technics stand since I am using all Technics gear, but they are impossible to find.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 05 Jun 2019 00:40

Find a busted piece of gear from the time frame and steal the logo off it. Stick it on your new cabinet and presto!

b+v8an

Post by b+v8an » 05 Jun 2019 14:25

truedeth wrote:
04 Jun 2019 16:15
b+v8an wrote:
04 Jun 2019 15:10
I thought of doing that but I want to have a dedicated thing for audio and not a makeshift solution. Ideally I would love to have a vintage 70s or 80s Technics stand since I am using all Technics gear, but they are impossible to find.
I was just trying to save you some work.I have built several stereo racks over the years,for myself and friends. Although they were functional,they weren't what one would consider "furniture quality". There are drawbacks to putting the records in the same unit as your turntable.For example when you have an album playing,and you start looking for the next one, you WILL make the record skip.
As for finding a Technics(orSony,etc) rack,most of those are pressboard (cheap junk).
I just did a search on CL for stereo racks,cabinets,etc in your area and there are some nice ones,or even entertainment centers with separate parts.
If you are determined to make your own,enjoy the journey !

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 07 Oct 2019 07:47

Yes, use very thick ply for the shelves.
If you have a turntable on top, consider using three feet - there will never be a wobble which is possible using four feet.

British Raj
England

Post by British Raj » 17 Oct 2019 18:34

I am building one for records ... more of a rack than a cabinet. Front facing, vertical storage, flip forward like a record shop. :-)