Advice for a record cabinet I'm building

radio, tape, stands and accessories
truedeth
United States of America

Advice for a record cabinet I'm building

Post by truedeth » 27 May 2019 05:07

I'm finally building my record cabinet and am wondering what kind of feet (if any) Ishould be using! This cabinet will be made of wood. In addition, any recommendations for a headphone holder that I can mount on the side for my Panasonic RP-HFT600 studio headphones? All the measurements are the inside dimensions for the stand.
recordstand.jpg
record stand rough sketch
(82.91 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
recordstand2.jpg
another rough sketch of the stand
(214.12 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

Dr_Wu
United States of America

Re: Advice for a record cabinet I'm building

Post by Dr_Wu » 27 May 2019 23:01

I would seriously consider double-decking the lower enclosure for a couple of reasons. Twice as much album storage, which you will want, and the turntable will be raised up to a more comfortable level to deal with. It's a pain in the back to have to bend over a low turntable to clean the stylus, clean the album, put on the record weight/clamp, move the tonearm, etc.

Your headphone holder could be as simple as a wooden dowel fit into the side of the cabinet near the top. If you don't want to drill a hole in the cabinet, a stick-on coat hook would work, too.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 29 May 2019 16:53

Those are great suggestions and I was thinking about going modular so I can add boxes as I go, and putting it on the side of the cabinet and building as I go.

Do the feet matter? Should I just have a flat bottom? Should I get crazy and buy a circular bubble level and carve out a recess and have it in the center of the top board and then have adjustable feet like a fridge has?

Ear today
France

Post by Ear today » 29 May 2019 18:03

The choice of feet (if you feel you want them) will depend on what sort of floor you have. With a concrete floor you can use pretty much whatever you like. With a suspended wooden floor you will need to consider something that will isolate vibrations.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 30 May 2019 00:53

I live on the second floor of an apartment house and I have wood floors. It's also a hundred years old so leveling is a needed thing

Ear today
France

Post by Ear today » 30 May 2019 09:05

Levelling is always appropriate but on wooden floors with neighbours below I would suggest you try to find an effective isolation solution as well.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 30 May 2019 23:40

Ear today wrote:
30 May 2019 09:05
Levelling is always appropriate but on wooden floors with neighbours below I would suggest you try to find an effective isolation solution as well.
What would be isolated? The turntable doesn't vibrate (that I know of) and speakers are on shelves across the room. I'm new to this stuff :)

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 03 Jun 2019 00:36

Put leveling feet on it.

The last thing you want is the thing rocking with a turntable on it!

Maybe consider 19” deep, and also be sure your component shelf spacing includes the suggested free air above for cooling.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 03 Jun 2019 02:11

Jim Leach wrote:
03 Jun 2019 00:36
Put leveling feet on it.

The last thing you want is the thing rocking with a turntable on it!

Maybe consider 19” deep, and also be sure your component shelf spacing includes the suggested free air above for cooling.
The receiver is only 16"(420mm) deep so maybe an additional inch wouldn't hurt. I may have to add a half inch in height too since it's 6" (155mm) tall so maybe 7" is too small of a gap...

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 03 Jun 2019 02:59

Imagine that all these lines are slightly bumped outward for clearance reasons.
I measured three times and laid down the lines! All I need now is to cut them out and rout out stuff and then sand like mad, varnish, then assemble!
IMG_20190602_192715.jpg
All three boards!
(142.68 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
IMG_20190602_192723.jpg
Imagine this but the lines are now different
(149.18 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
received_586998488462101~2.jpeg
Imaginary lines to show how much record storage!
(146.26 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 03 Jun 2019 04:28

I would mention a couple of things learned from cabinets/racks I have owned. A fully loaded cabinet with equipment and LPs becomes quite heavy and awkward to move if necessary. Adjustable casters may be a thought there, and sufficiently sturdy materials and fasteners is a must. Having sufficient room to both fit and maneuver everything inside the cabinet will make using it much more pleasant. Finally, give serious consideration to air flow and cable routing needs. It is a royal pain to have to struggle with snaking cables and cords about to add or remove components. Isolating can be easily accomplished with carpets or rubber mats under the area where the cabinet is to sit. The mass of the cabinet and contents will serve to neutralize most significant vibration before it affects the TT in any way. A relatively fun and easy project that could be very satisfying if done well. Think quality construction for a quality long time enjoyment of the unit! Best of luck, and we're all interested in how the project turns out. :)

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 03 Jun 2019 04:31

It is difficult to tell from the pictures, but that looks like very thin plywood/veneer you are using....I would be using 1/2" minimum if it were me, JFYI. The combined weight will be significant, remember.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 03 Jun 2019 05:18

Yo trudeth:

Records are heavy. Even 3/4 inch plywood will sag if the shelf is over about 36" long. My suggestion is to use commercially available 2"x2" framing lumber to support the shelves. I built a set of vertical cabinets for record storage for both 12" LPs and 12" 78s. The cabinet stands 64" high, is 12" deep, and is 19 1/2 inches from side to side. Each shelf is supported by 2 x 2 framing lumber. The each shelf has a 2 inch high strip across the back of the cabinets that acts as a stop for the records to keep them from sliding through when they are pushed back into storage. I designed it to sit on top of a fining cabinet that I purchased for my apartment.

The suggestion about making your turntable at least waist high is a good one. In my case, my turntables and amplifiers are on a shelf mounted on the wall at about 36 inches high, which is 49 1/2 x 19 inches deep. The shelf is 3/4 inch birch plywood with 1" x 2" poplar edging, and 3/4 inch MDF screwed to the underside. I obtained permission from my landlord to screw the shelf into the wall and support it with diagonal braces, which keeps vibrations from the floor from feeding through the turntable. All of my shelves are permanently located. The computer rack in my little digital production studio uses casters available at Rural King, which are rated at 100 lbs each. It makes it easy to move the computer cabinet when I need to rearrange the wiring or remove one of the computers for service.

The longer the shelves are, the more likely the are to sag over time, but I have not had any issue with sagging using the 2 x 2 inch lumber to support each shelf and I have a set of shelves that are 36" long that are fully stocked with records. I run 1 1/2 inch #10 screws through the sides of the cabinet and screw them into the 2 x 2 lumber underneath each shelf. With glue, it holds solidly.

And good luck from that fully stocked, but well supported old guy,

Joe Z.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 03 Jun 2019 06:47

josephazannieri wrote:
03 Jun 2019 05:18
Yo trudeth:

Records are heavy. Even 3/4 inch plywood will sag if the shelf is over about 36" long. My suggestion is to use commercially available 2"x2" framing lumber to support the shelves. I built a set of vertical cabinets for record storage for both 12" LPs and 12" 78s. The cabinet stands 64" high, is 12" deep, and is 19 1/2 inches from side to side. Each shelf is supported by 2 x 2 framing lumber. The each shelf has a 2 inch high strip across the back of the cabinets that acts as a stop for the records to keep them from sliding through when they are pushed back into storage. I designed it to sit on top of a fining cabinet that I purchased for my apartment.

The suggestion about making your turntable at least waist high is a good one. In my case, my turntables and amplifiers are on a shelf mounted on the wall at about 36 inches high, which is 49 1/2 x 19 inches deep. The shelf is 3/4 inch birch plywood with 1" x 2" poplar edging, and 3/4 inch MDF screwed to the underside. I obtained permission from my landlord to screw the shelf into the wall and support it with diagonal braces, which keeps vibrations from the floor from feeding through the turntable. All of my shelves are permanently located. The computer rack in my little digital production studio uses casters available at Rural King, which are rated at 100 lbs each. It makes it easy to move the computer cabinet when I need to rearrange the wiring or remove one of the computers for service.

The longer the shelves are, the more likely the are to sag over time, but I have not had any issue with sagging using the 2 x 2 inch lumber to support each shelf and I have a set of shelves that are 36" long that are fully stocked with records. I run 1 1/2 inch #10 screws through the sides of the cabinet and screw them into the 2 x 2 lumber underneath each shelf. With glue, it holds solidly.

And good luck from that fully stocked, but well supported old guy,

Joe Z.
I am thinking about sag with the shelves and am open to ideas on how to get there. The 2×2 you talk about...I can't visualize that! Can you take pictures?

I'm trying to keep the shelves as tight as I can, but my dad built a three shelf cabinet with the same thickness wood and it's like three feet long and has no backing, but there is barely any sag. Dunno how he did it.

I don't want it too tall as I want it to be able to fit in my living room and not be higher than the windowsills that flank the center of the room. I don't mind swapping records around while on my knees haha

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 03 Jun 2019 06:48

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
03 Jun 2019 04:31
It is difficult to tell from the pictures, but that looks like very thin plywood/veneer you are using....I would be using 1/2" minimum if it were me, JFYI. The combined weight will be significant, remember.
I'm using 3/4 inch plywood. The only thing wood I'm gonna use is for the back