Okki Nokki RCM

radio, tape, stands and accessories
GaryJ73167

Okki Nokki RCM

Post by GaryJ73167 » 19 Mar 2019 23:34

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else out there has this machine

I just got it last week, and, I am having a problem. The problem isn't the machine though, it is more "ME".

Allow me to explain

I keep reading on line and watching YouTube videos about this machine and I hear A LOT of people say you should not over tighten the clamp that holds the record on or you will break the knob

So, I am so freaked out about this that it is like I am afraid to tighten it. because of this, once the vacuum starts to suck to cleaning fluid/dirt off the record, it stops the record from spinning because the record is too loose.

Why ? because I am not tightening the clamp enough

Ugh........don't mind me. Just venting a bit.

I am so afraid of breaking this thing that I send myself into panic mode.

Somebody slap me please :/

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Re: Okki Nokki RCM

Post by Japi Roelofs » 20 Mar 2019 00:29

The Okki Nokki 'spindle' is made of hard metal / steel, while the inside of the clamp is made of a softer metal. I wore out the clamp after a few years of use, to the point where it wouldn't grip the spindle anymore. I contacted the distributor and he sent me a new one.

You want to find a way to use the clamp so that it holds the record steady, but not overtighten it.

GaryJ73167

Post by GaryJ73167 » 20 Mar 2019 00:35

Japi Roelofs wrote:
20 Mar 2019 00:29
The Okki Nokki 'spindle' is made of hard metal / steel, while the inside of the clamp is made of a softer metal. I wore out the clamp after a few years of use, to the point where it wouldn't grip the spindle anymore. I contacted the distributor and he sent me a new one.

You want to find a way to use the clamp so that it holds the record steady, but not overtighten it.
Thanks for the reply

So basically, if anything will get damaged, it would be the clamp before the Okki Nikki?

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 20 Mar 2019 00:49

That's correct.

But to be honest, I used my Okki Nokki a lot - cleaned hundreds if not thousands of records with it - and at one point the motor gave up too. So I'm on my second machine now :roll:

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 02 Apr 2019 05:32

No need to crank down the clamp, but certainly tighten it enough to prevent the album from stopping when you are running the vacuum. Since both pieces are metal, do ensure you're putting it on straight and not cross threading.

Not sure if the thread is the same pitch, but an alternative may be to use the VPI clamp, which is delrin or some other type of composite. No risk of messing up the spindle, since its considerably harder than the delrin.

hedgehog35
Scotland

Post by hedgehog35 » 26 Apr 2019 17:27

GaryJ73167 wrote:
19 Mar 2019 23:34
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else out there has this machine

I just got it last week, and, I am having a problem. The problem isn't the machine though, it is more "ME".

Allow me to explain

I keep reading on line and watching YouTube videos about this machine and I hear A LOT of people say you should not over tighten the clamp that holds the record on or you will break the knob

So, I am so freaked out about this that it is like I am afraid to tighten it. because of this, once the vacuum starts to suck to cleaning fluid/dirt off the record, it stops the record from spinning because the record is too loose.

Why ? because I am not tightening the clamp enough

Ugh........don't mind me. Just venting a bit.

I am so afraid of breaking this thing that I send myself into panic mode.

Somebody slap me please :/
I have been using an Okki Nokki for a few years now and I think I understand what might be happening.
I too started off being very careful with the clamp knob and often didn't tighten it enough and so the record would start to spin when the vacuum was applied. Sometimes when you tighten the clamp, it feels as if it is fully tight - but it isn't! Slowly tighten a little further and the clamp will suddenly feel loose again. The first time I did this, I thought I had overtightened it and had broken it .
It happens when the centre of the record is not fully pressed against the mat and then suddenly slips down the spindle as you apply more force.
Also, do not worry if you see tiny specks of metal in the centre of the mat - as already mentioned, the threaded insert in the knob seems to be made of quite soft metal and a little comes off each time it is used.
One last suggestion - do not leave the vacuum tube inserted in its opening after you have finished cleaning and put away your machine. Unless both the tube and the opening are completely dry, the plastic of the vacuum tube can actually swell up if left this way for a long time. I couldn't understand why my suction tube was getting harder to move over the record or to lift up after suctioning was finished. The UK importer told me this had happened to quite a few machines. So leave your tube out of the machine when not using!
Hope this helps.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 27 Apr 2019 18:24

Of course make sure the album is properly seated. The bottom of the spindle, below the threads, is a bit wider for the record hole to seat.

Pete_LI

Post by Pete_LI » 17 Oct 2019 04:06

Thread is a little old but I just wanted to add this... The bottom of the clamp has an o-ring to press against the record. When I have it tightened enough so it will hold the record, I find that it leaves a bit of an imprint on the label. This doesn't bother me but it might be an issue for some. It also depends a bit on the record.

I have the same experience as the previous two replies... sometimes when you throw a record down, it doesn't seat all the way. Just be aware of it and center the record before you tighten.