Headphones,Oh! Dear! I am curious..

radio, tape, stands and accessories
goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Headphones,Oh! Dear! I am curious..

Post by goatbreath » 15 Feb 2019 11:30

I have recently got myself a Graham Slee Novo Headphone Amp and a Pair of Sennheiser HD600 plus some HD599s too..My thinking was the HD600 as flat truthful headphones and the HD599s as a little more flattering style ones..
I am loving both,but I am reading about other headphone companies and their sonic signatures..
I am reading that AKGs are Open Airy,have really extended treble and a huge soundstage.
I am reading that Grados are exciting and dramatic..
Yikes,I could end up with a headphone collection here..

I love my HD600s they are great,plenty of treble,artificially airy treble can be really cool to listen to too though..
The idea of different headphones for different presentations is interesting me,well more alluring me...

The Grado SR80e and AKG K701 both sound interesting and affordable..

Am I just excited by headphones just now,or does this approach have any merit..?

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Headphones,Oh! Dear! I am curious..

Post by Pauw » 15 Feb 2019 13:12

I must admit I am an advocate of "horses for courses" Hi-Fi.....I have a 33 turntable and a 45 on. I have two CD players that I use for different types of music ...I use different headphones depending on the music....I use different cassette decks depending on the music and the tape I have available....I have three tuners each for a different station and music type ......so no problems in doing that with headphones......after all it is all about enjoying the music.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 15 Feb 2019 14:10

I use and prefer the AKG K702

Accurate. I don't want to make up for shortcomings in a recording with "colored" equipment, so I look for flat response that is not "sterile" sounding. I think these are a good option, and they are not silly money either. If you do, you end up chasing your tail or have a bunch of equipment for different recordings. I don't have space or money for that! (I see some under $100 used on eBay right now too)

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professi ... nt#start=1

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 17 Feb 2019 18:05

...like a boss I worked for in a bicycle shop once said..."different spokes for different folks!"
I've gotten that way, too. Certain components sound best with certain types of music...naw yer normal...you "just" know what works best for a given situation.

toaster999
Great Britain

Post by toaster999 » 17 Feb 2019 20:30

Pauw wrote:
15 Feb 2019 13:12
I must admit I am an advocate of "horses for courses" Hi-Fi.....I have a 33 turntable and a 45 on. I have two CD players that I use for different types of music ...I use different headphones depending on the music....I use different cassette decks depending on the music and the tape I have available....I have three tuners each for a different station and music type ......so no problems in doing that with headphones......after all it is all about enjoying the music.
Jesus, Are you Married. Sounds great but my wife would lynch me!

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 17 Feb 2019 21:26

toaster...some of us, as well... #-o

sivagriva
long player
long player
Slovenia

Post by sivagriva » 17 Feb 2019 21:47

My ears are habituate to listen under "vintage" AKG K340 electrostatic-dynamic systems....but would try to listen to some Stax systems too...

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 18 Feb 2019 01:07

So many headphones out there now. Go to the Head-Fi forum and get really confused.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 18 Feb 2019 10:42

toaster999 wrote:
17 Feb 2019 20:30
Pauw wrote:
15 Feb 2019 13:12
Jesus, Are you Married. Sounds great but my wife would lynch me!
Yes have been for around 30 years ....I married the correct woman! :D

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 18 Feb 2019 12:53

Our hats are off to you, Sir...it's good to have that understanding person around you.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 18 Feb 2019 16:34

DasherF wrote:
18 Feb 2019 12:53
Our hats are off to you, Sir...it's good to have that understanding person around you.
Thank you :D

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 19 Feb 2019 00:09

gb, you said "Am I just excited by headphones just now,or does this approach have any merit..?"
It's our (yours, too) hobby and to enjoy it fully, it's gotta be played fully... it is knowing (heard that in a song somewhere...). It's research...

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 19 Feb 2019 17:27

gb:
You should give some planar or electrostatic headphones a listen. Like speakers, planar and esl phones sound different than regular phones.

I prefer planar or electrostatic speakers and also the same in headphones.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 19 Feb 2019 17:33

There are so many different headphones and headphone amp combinations available it's staggering. The sound variations are also amazing. Go try them out, if possible. Especially if something like the following is relatively local (London is in July). https://canjamglobal.com

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 20 Feb 2019 01:10

Yup, to all...headphones are as different as speakers, receivers, cartridges, the works...it's fascinating, the variety one can experience just by changing a component, a piece of the puzzle.
Oh, by the way, I've been a great fan of Koss products. For the price, they're really good.
Also, a supervisor I worked for some years ago had a pair of Grado earbuds that inserted (seemingly) WAY into the ear...really great sounding. He used them under his helmet on his cycles.