DIY wall stand

radio, tape, stands and accessories
ollihd

DIY wall stand

Post by ollihd » 12 Feb 2019 12:44

I'm thinking of building my own wall stand for my turntable (Pro-Ject debut carbon with acrylic platter and with an Ortofon 2M RED cartridge).

I'm thinking of doing the construction as follows:

1. 10-15mm MDF attached to the wall by sturdy supports on the left and right side of the MDF board
2. Another 10-15mm MDF board would sit on top of the previous board with adjustable spikes (so i can level it correctly)
3. The TT would sit on top of this construction with vibrapods installed under it's four legs

Does this make sense to you guys?

Ottermel
Canada

Re: DIY wall stand

Post by Ottermel » 12 Feb 2019 18:59

First:
I would not use MDF in that thickness but bamboo at least 3/4" thick! 3/4" MDF (HDF would be better if you can get it!) with a finish.
Second:
Use square tubing brackets and diagonals to attach to wall studs with at least 3" long #10 screws
Third:
You won't need any further isolation if you are mounted on wall (assuming it's a good solid wall - exterior wall preferred)

ollihd

Post by ollihd » 12 Feb 2019 20:49

Thank you for the reply. I have access to 3/4" bamboo. Should I make both of the boards with bamboo?

I know what square tubing brackets are, but what do you mean by "diagonals"? (I'm from Finland so I'm not that familiar with all the building terms :) )

The wall is a load bearing "main" wall.

Thanks for the help

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 13 Feb 2019 04:12

I mean a bracket from top front to bottom at back (wall) at each end. Look at target wall mount shelf.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 13 Feb 2019 18:24

A picture of what I did to support my heavy Technics 1200 turntable, 14 kilo's. The horizontal brace was designed for mounting into studs in the wall. I felt I needed the diagonal brace to give added support to the outer end of the shelf. I used two layers of birch ply with a viscoelastic, (squishy) kind of dome called "sonic domes" between the ply layers. I used a marble type surface for the table to sit on and made a sort of picture frame to cover up the layers. The bamboo would look very nice, but you wouldn't need two layers. Mine is one of many ways to make a turntable shelf, which is very effective isolating any vibrations getting to the turntable.

gallery/image/14084/medium