Realistic Franken-phones

radio, tape, stands and accessories
plyscds
United States of America

Realistic Franken-phones

Post by plyscds » 04 Feb 2019 18:57

My first set of impressive headphones was a set of Realistic/Koss-made Pro-60s. I was able to source replacement ear cushions for them up through Radio Shack to some time in the early '90s. At that point, after the ear cushions could start losing substance in a moderate summer breeze the Pro-60s were retired and replaced by a set of Grado 125's and 225's. During this period, with replacement cushions for the Pro-60s not overtly available from Koss, I tried a few alternate sets of Koss ear cushions on the Pro-60s with disappointing results. When I finally gave in to the obviously similar shapes between the Pro-60's original ear cushions and the Grado's "L" cushions, and mounted a set of Grado "L" cushions onto the Pro 60s' removable ear cushion mounting plate, the Pro-60s were back in the game. Sound quality between the two types is very close with the Pro-60s giving just a hint more feeling of being "in" the music with the Grados seeming to have a bit more presence to things like a rock drummer's cymbals. I haven't tried this "heretic parts substitution" with the much less expensive imported Grado-compatible ear cushion types, so I cannot address how successfully they would compare.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Realistic Franken-phones

Post by Tinkaroo » 04 Feb 2019 23:55

That sounds like a great solution! =D>

The Pro 60 is the Realistic version of the Koss HV/X, a "high velocity" series model.

I have some Koss HV/2A headphones where the foam is shaped like a small donut. I was able to get new foam cushions from Koss a few years ago for $5 shipped.

plyscds
United States of America

Re: Realistic Franken-phones

Post by plyscds » 05 Feb 2019 17:27

I have tried "close...almost" cushions from Koss, and was very disappointed in their inability to present highs as well as the correct period cushions could. They didn't have the inner hollow cone configuration which the Pro 60 cushions did.

Anyway, I have two sets of Grado headphones... I tried some of their available know-how... and I like the results.