Phono cable - opinions?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
kramer
Great Britain

Phono cable - opinions?

Post by kramer » 26 Jan 2019 17:01

Hi, I thinking about getting two pairs of these phono cable to connect up my preamp to my turntable and amp, with a separate ground wire. It looks like quite a chunky cable and double shielded, so I'm hoping that it will reduce the hum from from my Cambridge Audio 551p preamp which is noisier than my preamp on my Yamaha AS 501. What do you guys think, will these cables make a difference?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F8M44Z2/ ... 5648799443

bra10n
long player
long player
Australia

Re: Phono cable - opinions?

Post by bra10n » 27 Jan 2019 08:21

I don't imagine an RCA cable being the source of the hum. Find and fix the hum is my advice.

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 27 Jan 2019 10:40

Hi
Whilst it’s a good idea, imho, to have decent cables, from a construction pint of view, leaving out any pros or cons re sonic benefits and the ones you highlight seem to be well made, I agree with bra10n, the hum is most likely an underlying issue that I doubt new cables will fix. The proposed “earth” connection may help.
Some amps are more sensitive to things like noisy mains supply, location or proximity to other electrical equipment etc. If you use a multi plug or mains connection try changing the order the kit is plugged in, may help and free to try!

Paul

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 30 Jan 2019 12:23

A few comments:

- The cable you linked to does not specify that it is a (low capacitance) cable suitable for phono use. The word "phono" in the heading is describing the connectors, as "phono RCA's". I suspect that they are a normal RCA interconnect, suitable for use between amp, CD, tape, tuner, phono preamp, etc., but possibly not between turntable tonearm and phono preamp. They will work there, but possibly not to optimum quality.

- I made a temporary rca cable from a tonearm to phono preamp from cheap+nasty video rca cables (the temp use was to test the TT, will invest in quality cable when I make the new plinth). Had a horrible hum. Turns out the cable had next to no shielding. Made a new temp rca cable from cheap coax. Hum gone. So the cheap cable with normal shielding was all that was required. In a normal setup you shouldn't need the double-shielding that is in the advertised cable. It won't do any harm though.

- Another tt hum problem I had was traced back to the headshell not making good connections (it was a vintage tt I acquired). Cleaned the contacts, cleaned headshell wire contacts with cart and headshell. Hum gone.

- An earth wire can be any quality, there is no such thing as an audiophile earth cable, unless you want to make a marketing exec. rich.

Good luck removing your hum.