Reel to reel records slow

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Mike G 1971
United States of America

Reel to reel records slow

Post by Mike G 1971 » 03 Jan 2019 01:32

Hello. First time posting here. I have 2 reel to reel machines...an Allied 1099 and a Sony TC 353d. The Allied machine plays back material a tiny bit slow from the original recording.(the tape being recorded on that machine) If I record on the Sony machine, the speed seems correct on playback on that machine as well as playing it back on the Allied machine. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the recording function on the Allied machine. Just looking for any ideas of why there would be a difference of speed between recording material and playback and the fact that tapes that were recorded on a different machine play back fine. Thanks in advance!

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: Reel to reel records slow

Post by Spinner45 » 03 Jan 2019 03:36

After decades of aging, all tape machines need overhauling, even your Sony, trust me.
The Allied machine could have several issues.
*Faulty motor-run capacitor - in time could overheat and destroy the motor...
*old belts, drive tires, capstan rubber.
*dried gummy lubrication.
*weak power supply in need of service.

Service - it's crying out for it.

Mike G 1971
United States of America

Post by Mike G 1971 » 03 Jan 2019 14:56

Thanks for the reply Spinner. I did have the Allied machine serviced a couple of years ago by a reputable shop. I did bring it to the attention of the owner about the slower speed but he more or less said that without shaving some of the belts, which would be cost prohibitive, it is in the best working order he could get it in. It's a low end machine and I can live with it the way it is. I was just looking to see if that is a reasonable explanation (needing to shave a belt or belts) of why there could be a speed difference between the recorded tape and source material. The playback is fine though on those tapes recorded on the other machine. I know it's just a consumer machine but I really like the sonic quality. At some point I will upgrade to a better deck.

BoblK

Post by BoblK » 07 Jan 2019 22:29

As Spinner45 said, motor run caps also can cause slow running. I have experienced it on Sony machines. I have a couple of old TC-252Ds that I replaced motor caps on and that brought the speed right back within specs. I'm not sure what you mean by "belt shaving". Since the speed would be set by the pulley diameter ratio and motor speed, I don't see how this could have any affect on on the speed.

Mike G 1971
United States of America

Post by Mike G 1971 » 13 Jan 2019 02:02

Thanks BoblK. I don't understand why the machine plays back a bit slow....only on recordings done on that same Allied machine. If I play back recordings on the Allied machine that were recorded on my Sony machine.....the speed is fine. Based on that......I believe the play back of the Allied machine is fine because playing tapes that had been recorded on another tape deck is fine. It is just an issue when I make recordings on that machine and play them back. Are there particular components involved in motor speed during recording but don't effect playback? I am pretty sure it's a single motor machine, so if there is a problem with the motor caps you spoke of, wouldn't that effect the speed of any recording I play on there even if recorded on a different deck? I'm trying to learn here so please pardon my novice explanation. Thanks in advance

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 13 Jan 2019 02:21

Mike G 1971 wrote:
13 Jan 2019 02:02
Thanks BoblK. I don't understand why the machine plays back a bit slow....only on recordings done on that same Allied machine. If I play back recordings on the Allied machine that were recorded on my Sony machine.....the speed is fine. Based on that......I believe the play back of the Allied machine is fine because playing tapes that had been recorded on another tape deck is fine. It is just an issue when I make recordings on that machine and play them back. Are there particular components involved in motor speed during recording but don't effect playback? I am pretty sure it's a single motor machine, so if there is a problem with the motor caps you spoke of, wouldn't that effect the speed of any recording I play on there even if recorded on a different deck? I'm trying to learn here so please pardon my novice explanation. Thanks in advance
In as much as the internet is a wonderful thing, trying to diagnose something like a reel to reel over the internet is really impossible.
It's got to be on a tech service bench, where they can do "readings", check voltages, etc.
As I said, the 'net is great, but has its limits.

Mike G 1971
United States of America

Post by Mike G 1971 » 13 Jan 2019 03:58

I hear ya....just figured I'd give it a shot

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 23 Jan 2019 01:35

Also with your machines there's rubber idlers as well. They also can get hardened and glazed as well. Which affects traction. Which may also be part of your issues here. Consider this.