Need help identifying an item

radio, tape, stands and accessories
hillcrestfinds
United States of America

Need help identifying an item

Post by hillcrestfinds » 21 Nov 2018 04:47

Hello,

I recently came into possession of a Technics SL-D3, and with it came a strange item. Please don't laugh if it is common item, I am not familiar with turntables yet.

It seems to be a blunt needle set in a tube of clear resin. The needle height seems to be adjustable by a set screw. All this is attached to a small suction cup.

I am not sure what it is or what it is for. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have attached an image of it below.
DSC_0018.JPG

jsa

Re: Need help identifying an item

Post by jsa » 21 Nov 2018 06:37

This sounds like the base of a dust bug record cleaner. The height adjustable "needle" is the pivot on which a plastic or similar arm balances. The far end of this arm has a roller covered in a plush type material as well as a little brush that sits just forward of it. As the record is rotating, this arm / brush combo tracks the grooves and cleans the disc as it is being played. It isn't unusual to buy a used turntable where the arm part is missing, but the base still remains stuck to the top of the deck.

hillcrestfinds
United States of America

Post by hillcrestfinds » 21 Nov 2018 15:23

Thanks so much for the answer!

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 30 Jan 2019 13:00

Welcome to VE!.

And further to the description, the best thing you can do with a dust bug is to destroy it. They damage records, when in use decrease the audio quality, and they have left many a stain on woodgrain turntables from the mounting adhesive on the base. Again, get rid of it.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 02 Feb 2019 17:09

Not sure how they damage records. It's just a couple of brushes. Any means of cleaning a record seems equally likely to damage it (though one hopes actual record cleaners are more effective than Dustbugs at cleaning).
A brush riding on the record's surface may have a slight effect on speed with low torque designs, and it may not improve audio quality since it must put some vibration into the record, but if that light weight materially alters the sound, by the same token, it might help damp the record, improving the sound.
AudioFeline is correct that they do seem to mar the surface of the plinth.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 04 Feb 2019 09:27

AudioFeline wrote:
30 Jan 2019 13:00

They damage records, when in use decrease the audio quality
Really.

But yes they do leave marks.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 04 Feb 2019 10:25

abril wrote:
04 Feb 2019 09:27
AudioFeline wrote:
30 Jan 2019 13:00
They damage records, when in use decrease the audio quality
Really.
But yes they do leave marks.
Damage to records is not always visible to the naked eye. The stylus sees more.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 04 Feb 2019 10:57

I won't use my Groov Kleen CF brush then,it must be bad too - after 40+ years - would never have known :(

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 04 Feb 2019 12:46

abril wrote:
04 Feb 2019 10:57
I won't use my Groov Kleen CF brush then,it must be bad too - after 40+ years - would never have known :(
I'm not familiar with the Groov Kleen, it's possibly better quality than the Watts. The Watts was made for basic record players when they were popular (I had one on my record player). The Watts brush wasn't very soft. In comparison, I've been reading that the brushes on certain Stanton styli were horsehair. The CF on the Groov Kleen may not be as bad in comparison, however, there are people who think CF record brush/cleaners scratch and leave marks. If you enjoy the Groov Kleen, then by all means continue to use it.