Sound proofing foam - Does it improve sound?

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Samcp

Sound proofing foam - Does it improve sound?

Post by Samcp » 07 Oct 2018 22:45

Hey,
I just got told by someone that I should invest in some soundproofing because "It's worth it" (this person has no experience in proper audio) and I was just thinking I wonder if it actually improves the quality of the audio because I thought it was only used in rooms were there is a lot of echoing and my audio listening room has no such thing.
Thanks,
Sam

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: Sound proofing foam - Does it improve sound?

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Oct 2018 00:17

What you heard/read is essentially correct. A classic case of if it isn't broke, don't fix it. A basically empty space with no fixture, furniture and architectural features will benefit greatly from acoustic panels to soften echo and reverberation effects. Most normally affected rooms will not require much modification. More empty spaces with large spaces that promote bounce and echo of sound waves will benefit from such panels. Eliminating such effects at the source is easier than correcting in the listening area....IMHO!

LD100
United States of America

Post by LD100 » 08 Oct 2018 05:09

The topic has already been covered, this should bring you up to speed...
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=101056

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 24 Oct 2018 21:06

Acoustic panels and room treatments are not soundproofing in any way shape or form. Room treatments and soundproofing are two entirely different things. One (acoustic room treatments) is for improving the sound. The other (soundproofing) is to keep external sound out and internal sounds in.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 25 Oct 2018 00:36

My living room with plush carpeting, sofas, etc, absorbs a lot of annoying reflections, so all I hear are the speakers singing to me.
My next door neighbor's listening area is bare floors, scarce furishings (leather sofa), and sounds to me just awfull, even though his system is quite decent.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 31 Oct 2018 18:38

Spinner45 wrote:
25 Oct 2018 00:36
My living room with plush carpeting, sofas, etc, absorbs a lot of annoying reflections, so all I hear are the speakers singing to me.
My next door neighbor's listening area is bare floors, scarce furishings (leather sofa), and sounds to me just awfull, even though his system is quite decent.
A totally undamped room sounds like you're in a bathroom with ceramic tile on the walls (not good). Talk about reverb and echo. Some sensibly applied room treatments can do wonders for the sound in almost any room. Especially for the neighbor's room you've described.

OTOH: You don't want to over do the room treatments. You don't want an anechoic chamber.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 26 Nov 2018 18:33

Yeah ..... what "Joe SP9" and "Spinner45" said. :)

I will add that many times you need sound dispersing things rather than sound absorbing things.
The idea is to break up sound waves.. not sound absorbing things per se . :)

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 06 Feb 2019 02:05

In addition, when treating a room:
- there are different acoustic products (eg. foams) that are designed to treat different frequency ranges
- the placement of the acoustic treatments will depend on the problem the room is displaying.

A thorough analysis of the problem is required to get the best solution.

And:
- great equipment will not sound good in a bad environment - fix the source of the problem if the room is not good
- if you have mis-matched components, it's better to get components which are complimentary than to treat a room to fix the equipment.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 06 Feb 2019 06:22

AudioFeline wrote:
06 Feb 2019 02:05
In addition, when treating a room:
- there are different acoustic products (eg. foams) that are designed to treat different frequency ranges
- the placement of the acoustic treatments will depend on the problem the room is displaying.

A thorough analysis of the problem is required to get the best solution.

And:
- great equipment will not sound good in a bad environment - fix the source of the problem if the room is not good
- if you have mis-matched components, it's better to get components which are complimentary than to treat a room to fix the equipment.
The wife will always go for new furniture..... a nice soft sofa, easy chair, etc... maybe new drapes.
All that is good anti-echo stuff.

Those velvet "Elvis" paintings were good sound absorbers too, but I digress. :lol: