Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Legrace
long player
long player
Canada
Posts: 1636
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 20:17

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Legrace » 21 Oct 2019 20:02

Bob Dillon wrote:
21 Oct 2019 19:01
Messing about with 40 + year old RtR machines is for nothing if the heads are worn.
How much wear is considered acceptable? Visual standard?

lenjack
long player
long player
Posts: 2196
Joined: 23 Jun 2017 02:11
Location: Liverpool,PA

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by lenjack » 21 Oct 2019 21:59

Any visual wear is far too much.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada
Posts: 1636
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 20:17

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Legrace » 21 Oct 2019 22:05

lenjack wrote:
21 Oct 2019 21:59
Any visual wear is far too much.
Got it, thanks! Should I plan on a full recap as well, has had nothing done to it. What else?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20458
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by vinyl master » 22 Oct 2019 04:16

Legrace wrote:
21 Oct 2019 18:46
May join the club. Going out this week to look at an early 70's A series Teac. Speeds are 7.5 and 15 ips, 2 ch record, but up to 4 ch for playback. Includes a box of NOS tapes, although of unknown provenance. Rabbit hole here I come!
Welcome to the rabbit hole, Legrace! I think if you keep this project in fun, you will reap rewards! And I think that it's good to break out of one's comfort zone from time to time to investigate different technologies and try new things...This could be a very fun diversion for you...Of course, as always, pics of your latest beauty (if and when you get her) are always welcome...and don't forget the "New Equipment" thread and "Cheap Skate" thread (if you get a really good deal on her!)... :wink:

Remember, I never thought I'd go down the "reel-to-reel" rabbit hole, either, but it looks like I've taken Tinkaroo and Dasher down with me... 8-[ It's your turn now, Big B! :lol:

I mean, you've got every OTHER kind of music-playing device known to man (Victrola, Edison phonograph, cylinder machine, turntable(s), etc.)...What's one more?! :wink: There are many out there and it might be just the thing to challenge you! :D

Bob Dillon
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 700
Joined: 03 Mar 2019 20:22

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Bob Dillon » 22 Oct 2019 04:58

vinyl master wrote:
22 Oct 2019 04:16
Legrace wrote:
21 Oct 2019 18:46
May join the club. Going out this week to look at an early 70's A series Teac. Speeds are 7.5 and 15 ips, 2 ch record, but up to 4 ch for playback. Includes a box of NOS tapes, although of unknown provenance. Rabbit hole here I come!
Welcome to the rabbit hole, Legrace! I think if you keep this project in fun, you will reap rewards! And I think that it's good to break out of one's comfort zone from time to time to investigate different technologies and try new things...This could be a very fun diversion for you...Of course, as always, pics of your latest beauty (if and when you get her) are always welcome...and don't forget the "New Equipment" thread and "Cheap Skate" thread (if you get a really good deal on her!)... :wink:

Remember, I never thought I'd go down the "reel-to-reel" rabbit hole, either, but it looks like I've taken Tinkaroo and Dasher down with me... 8-[ It's your turn now, Big B! :lol:

I mean, you've got every OTHER kind of music-playing device known to man (Victrola, Edison phonograph, cylinder machine, turntable(s), etc.)...What's one more?! :wink: There are many out there and it might be just the thing to challenge you! :D
If he wants a challenge maybe he could strap a couple of those old used boat anchor RtR's to either end of a straight bar and get his bench press up. He could start with the consumer models like Sony's, Teac's that are about 30 pounds each and work up to the similarly discarded multi-hundred pound studio machines, if he feels so inclined.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada
Posts: 1636
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 20:17

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Legrace » 22 Oct 2019 14:13

vinyl master wrote:
22 Oct 2019 04:16
Legrace wrote:
21 Oct 2019 18:46
May join the club. Going out this week to look at an early 70's A series Teac. Speeds are 7.5 and 15 ips, 2 ch record, but up to 4 ch for playback. Includes a box of NOS tapes, although of unknown provenance. Rabbit hole here I come!
Welcome to the rabbit hole, Legrace! I think if you keep this project in fun, you will reap rewards! And I think that it's good to break out of one's comfort zone from time to time to investigate different technologies and try new things...This could be a very fun diversion for you...Of course, as always, pics of your latest beauty (if and when you get her) are always welcome...and don't forget the "New Equipment" thread and "Cheap Skate" thread (if you get a really good deal on her!)... :wink:

Remember, I never thought I'd go down the "reel-to-reel" rabbit hole, either, but it looks like I've taken Tinkaroo and Dasher down with me... 8-[ It's your turn now, Big B! :lol:

I mean, you've got every OTHER kind of music-playing device known to man (Victrola, Edison phonograph, cylinder machine, turntable(s), etc.)...What's one more?! :wink: There are many out there and it might be just the thing to challenge you! :D

Thanks for the encouragement v_m. A big challenge is in finding locally based exemplars that satisfy my criteria. I've set a fairly tight budget for this project, which really limits the playing field. Hopefully this one pans out.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada
Posts: 1636
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 20:17

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Legrace » 23 Oct 2019 15:15

No turning back now!
TEAC A6100.JPG
(127.1 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7514
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Oct 2019 16:58

Legrace wrote:
23 Oct 2019 15:15
No turning back now!

TEAC A6100.JPG
That looks like a beautiful deck! 8)

What does the box on the right side of the picture do?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20458
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by vinyl master » 23 Oct 2019 17:26

Very nice score, Legrace... =D>

I can't tell, though...What model of Teac is that one? :-k

And what's the story with that one? Did you buy from the original owner like I did? Hopefully, you got a good deal on her, as well! Were the reels all blank or were there also some pre-recorded ones included??? :-k

Again, I think you'll have fun with this one...Keep us posted! =D>

Bob Dillon
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 700
Joined: 03 Mar 2019 20:22

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Bob Dillon » 23 Oct 2019 18:12

The box on the right is an outboard Dolby noise reduction unit.

lenjack
long player
long player
Posts: 2196
Joined: 23 Jun 2017 02:11
Location: Liverpool,PA

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by lenjack » 23 Oct 2019 19:41

Bob Dillon wrote:
23 Oct 2019 18:12
The box on the right is an outboard Dolby noise reduction unit.
Advent?

Bob Dillon
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 700
Joined: 03 Mar 2019 20:22

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Bob Dillon » 23 Oct 2019 19:46

I think I see the Realistic (Radio Shack brand) logo on there, on the bottom left.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada
Posts: 1636
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 20:17

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Legrace » 23 Oct 2019 19:56

Bob gets prize for correctly identifying satellite box function and brand identification.

The R2R is a Teac model A-6100. Two speeds, 7.5 and 15 ips. Its a 2 ch recorder but also has an additional playback head to support playback of compatible prerecorded 4 track material.

The 7" tapes and one 10.5" Ampex 457 are all blank and most are still sealed in original cellophane. Seller indicated he never actually got around to using the deck, hence all the unopened reels.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada
Posts: 1636
Joined: 23 Nov 2015 20:17

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Legrace » 02 Nov 2019 18:48

I opened the NOS 10.5 reel and it immediately disintegrated in my hands. The three screws that hold the reel together were corroded and snapped in half. Also I come to learn the tape grade on it is considered the poster child for STS. :evil:

Bob Dillon
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 700
Joined: 03 Mar 2019 20:22

Re: Reel-to-reel tips and/or advice

Post by Bob Dillon » 02 Nov 2019 19:25

Some later Ampex tape is indeed notorious for STS.

Corroded screws, hmm, that sounds like an issue of how/where the stuff was stored all these years.