the home of the turntable

Wire

radio, tape, stands and accessories

Wire

Postby scootersage » 13 Apr 2018 13:15

Hi everyone. I am interested to know what others are using and thoughts on wire. Speaker wire, interconnects and such. I am a retired union electrician and have dealt with all kinds over the years. Myself I am using 10awg 250 strand only because I got alot of it on a studio tearout for free. If people ask I say just get a roll of 14 awg. lamp cord. I have a set of bi wire able RTR but think it is just a way to sell more wire or amps under most conditions because you double your wire load and both carry the same signal anyway. What do you think?
scootersage

United States of America

Re: Wire

Postby Tinkaroo » 13 Apr 2018 13:33

What do I think?

I agree with you, but they seem to be fighting words around here. There seems to be a lot of money to be made on wiring and "interconnects" and if someone was convinced to spend big money on them, then they are going to defend them against all odds! #-o
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby scootersage » 13 Apr 2018 13:58

OOp's I don't want a debate was just curious what is most common with some of the people on here.
scootersage

United States of America

Postby cats squirrel » 13 Apr 2018 14:47

decent quality cable, and decent quality plugs and sockets. Esoteric is not a word I would use, usually! :D
currently listening with:
Lenco 59, Rega 250 + s/s stub and c/w, cAT92ECD cart in a metal housing, Plattamat2, Michell's clamp; Musical Fidelity X-LPSv3, Cambridge Audio 640v2 x2;JPW Sonatas x 4, augmented with Fountek CD3 ribbon tweeters and EPOS 10 inch bass units
cats squirrel
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby LD100 » 15 Apr 2018 09:57

Sufficient gauge for the current load and length between amp and speaker, connectors that make solid and stable contact.

Personally, I use 10 gauge copper speaker wire because I use active bi-amped electrostatic speakers.
LD100

United States of America

Postby vinylrayk » 15 Apr 2018 15:52

scootersage wrote:Hi everyone. I am interested to know what others are using and thoughts on wire. Speaker wire, interconnects and such. I am a retired union electrician and have dealt with all kinds over the years. Myself I am using 10awg 250 strand only because I got alot of it on a studio tearout for free. If people ask I say just get a roll of 14 awg. lamp cord. I have a set of bi wire able RTR but think it is just a way to sell more wire or amps under most conditions because you double your wire load and both carry the same signal anyway. What do you think?

I'm a retired electrical engineer. I totally agree with your assessment.

Ray K
If more is better, then too much is just right.
vinylrayk
contributor

United States of America

Postby rewfew » 16 Apr 2018 15:58

People want an easy fix for the best sound and naively buy into the notion of wire, and a host of others, and it's ascribed mythical properties because of all the nonsense available to reinforce them on the web forums. The huckster links to slick web designed snake oil sales, and audio publications and their associated "expert" reviewer's. All part of the audio world sub culture tapping into the notion of fools and their money are soon departed trade. You'd be just as successful arguing politics and religion as you would be challenging these beliefs to them.
rewfew

Postby Spinner45 » 16 Apr 2018 17:58

rewfew wrote:People want an easy fix for the best sound and naively buy into the notion of wire, and a host of others, and it's ascribed mythical properties because of all the nonsense available to reinforce them on the web forums. The huckster links to slick web designed snake oil sales, and audio publications and their associated "expert" reviewer's. All part of the audio world sub culture tapping into the notion of fools and their money are soon departed trade. You'd be just as successful arguing politics and religion as you would be challenging these beliefs to them.

All good points.
Basically, 16 gauge lamp cord running up to 25 feet to a speaker is ALL you need.
Anything else is overkill and waste of money.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Return to Other Stuff