Wire

radio, tape, stands and accessories
scootersage

Wire

Post by scootersage » 13 Apr 2018 13:15

Hi everyone. I am interested to know what others are using and thoughts on wire. Speaker wire, interconnects and such. I am a retired union electrician and have dealt with all kinds over the years. Myself I am using 10awg 250 strand only because I got alot of it on a studio tearout for free. If people ask I say just get a roll of 14 awg. lamp cord. I have a set of bi wire able RTR but think it is just a way to sell more wire or amps under most conditions because you double your wire load and both carry the same signal anyway. What do you think?

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Wire

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Apr 2018 13:33

What do I think?

I agree with you, but they seem to be fighting words around here. There seems to be a lot of money to be made on wiring and "interconnects" and if someone was convinced to spend big money on them, then they are going to defend them against all odds! #-o

scootersage

Post by scootersage » 13 Apr 2018 13:58

OOp's I don't want a debate was just curious what is most common with some of the people on here.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by cats squirrel » 13 Apr 2018 14:47

decent quality cable, and decent quality plugs and sockets. Esoteric is not a word I would use, usually! :D

LD100
United States of America

Post by LD100 » 15 Apr 2018 09:57

Sufficient gauge for the current load and length between amp and speaker, connectors that make solid and stable contact.

Personally, I use 10 gauge copper speaker wire because I use active bi-amped electrostatic speakers.

vinylrayk

Post by vinylrayk » 15 Apr 2018 15:52

scootersage wrote:Hi everyone. I am interested to know what others are using and thoughts on wire. Speaker wire, interconnects and such. I am a retired union electrician and have dealt with all kinds over the years. Myself I am using 10awg 250 strand only because I got alot of it on a studio tearout for free. If people ask I say just get a roll of 14 awg. lamp cord. I have a set of bi wire able RTR but think it is just a way to sell more wire or amps under most conditions because you double your wire load and both carry the same signal anyway. What do you think?
I'm a retired electrical engineer. I totally agree with your assessment.

Ray K

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 16 Apr 2018 15:58

People want an easy fix for the best sound and naively buy into the notion of wire, and a host of others, and it's ascribed mythical properties because of all the nonsense available to reinforce them on the web forums. The huckster links to slick web designed snake oil sales, and audio publications and their associated "expert" reviewer's. All part of the audio world sub culture tapping into the notion of fools and their money are soon departed trade. You'd be just as successful arguing politics and religion as you would be challenging these beliefs to them.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 16 Apr 2018 17:58

rewfew wrote:People want an easy fix for the best sound and naively buy into the notion of wire, and a host of others, and it's ascribed mythical properties because of all the nonsense available to reinforce them on the web forums. The huckster links to slick web designed snake oil sales, and audio publications and their associated "expert" reviewer's. All part of the audio world sub culture tapping into the notion of fools and their money are soon departed trade. You'd be just as successful arguing politics and religion as you would be challenging these beliefs to them.
All good points.
Basically, 16 gauge lamp cord running up to 25 feet to a speaker is ALL you need.
Anything else is overkill and waste of money.

bra10n
Australia

Post by bra10n » 20 Apr 2018 06:58

rewfew wrote:People want an easy fix for the best sound and naively buy into the notion of wire, and a host of others, and it's ascribed mythical properties because of all the nonsense available to reinforce them on the web forums. The huckster links to slick web designed snake oil sales, and audio publications and their associated "expert" reviewer's. All part of the audio world sub culture tapping into the notion of fools and their money are soon departed trade. You'd be just as successful arguing politics and religion as you would be challenging these beliefs to them.
Well said!

For those who still have doubts, below is a link to a podcast containing an interview with a representative from a known cable manufacturer and retailer. Pay close attention to the well worn and well rehearsed sales pitch and any number of selling techniques this guy uses over a 25 min interview :roll: :roll: :roll:

Interview begins at 37:50

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/2/c/32c7781 ... 162f67df3b

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 27 Apr 2018 02:45

"WIRE" we even talking about this subject?

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 27 Apr 2018 20:22

I'm a retired EE and I use DH Labs Silversonic IC's and speaker cables. The IC's are a mix of BL-1 and Air Matrix. For speaker cables I use Q10 Signature. Prior to switching to DH Labs (20 years ago) all my IC's and cables came from Kimber.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 25 May 2018 20:31

Lazarus Short wrote:"WIRE" we even talking about this subject?
Really...

All all you need is pure cooper wire of a proper gauge.

Fact is, electrons could not care less about how pretty or thick the insulation is..... or how much the snake oil oil salesmen sing its praises. :)

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 25 May 2018 22:05

BTW, as far as interconnects.....
In addition, you just need secure electrical and mechanical connections at both ends

How pretty the (RCA) connectors may be is also completely irrelevant for sound.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 25 May 2018 23:41

JDJX wrote:BTW, as far as interconnects.....
In addition, you just need secure electrical and mechanical connections at both ends

How pretty the (RCA) connectors may be is also completely irrelevant for sound.
Takes me maybe 5 minutes to break out the soldering iron and "tin" the strands to be sturdy and solid.
Done.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 25 May 2018 23:48

High end esoteric speaker wire is totally necessary in the parallel universe were all the odd socks go and the laws of physics dont apply, here lamp cord is just fine :D
Chris