ION MixMeister USB Recorder

radio, tape, stands and accessories
Lee from Chitown

ION MixMeister USB Recorder

Post by Lee from Chitown » 03 Feb 2018 16:44

Has anybody used the ION MixMeister recently with success? Its a device/software for moving analog lp and tape music to digital mp3.
I had previously used the device.
Life happened and hadn't used the devise for quite a while.
I got some new vinyl for Christmas and now want to move it to mp3. I tried using the device again and the right channel doesn't get recorded. I thought it was the old unit. Purchased another because it had given good service.
The new unit produces the same results. From reading on the web it appears the units/software don't work with Windows 10.
I don't know of anyone near me with a computer that doesn't have Windows 10 (or Apple equivalent).
Is there new software, or?
Thanks.

beat_truck

Re: ION MixMeister USB Recorder

Post by beat_truck » 04 Feb 2018 00:46

Not trying to hurt your feelings, but Ion is total GARBAGE. I know, I briefly had one of their "turntables". I'd return it and get something like the Behringer UCA202 or UCA222. They are highly rated and look to be cheaper than the Ion.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 05 Feb 2018 20:13

For $30 you can't beat a Behringer UCA202/222.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 09 Feb 2018 14:25

If you have a receiver/amplifier with Tape Out and Line-In 3.5mm jack somewhere on your PC, all you need is a shielded RCA-to-3.5mm headphone jack cable.

Lee from Chitown

Post by Lee from Chitown » 14 Feb 2018 21:26

I have two questions.
Is there a thread on using the Behringer UCA202?
And, using the Behringer, my turntable(Technics SL1900)has a ground wire. Where should that be connected?
Thanks to all!

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 15 Feb 2018 21:30

The UCA202/222 has no available ground. Leave your TT grounded where it is.
FWIW: I have a Behringer UCA222 connected to my system via a tape loop on a Russound TMS-1 connected to tape monitor loop 1 on my preamp. The Behringer is driven via a USB connection to an HP Stream laptop. The laptop is used exclusively for ripping LP's. I use Audacity to rip LP's at 16/48.

My TT is grounded to my preamp.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 16 Feb 2018 23:31

Lee: I can hardly imagine that a compatibility problem with Windows 10 would lead to the USB recorder box (= basically a USB sound interface (probably USB Audio class 1), limited to input only) delivering one channel only. So, did you already try, what happens,

- if you swap the RCA cables at the input (to check, whether the problem swaps channels accordingly or not, so you can exclude a problem upstream, like for example a faulty cable),

- and if you try to record using a different software like for example Audacity?

Well, and as for the priceworthy Behringer interfaces: The UCA202/222 are line-level only, but with an extra optical digital output and a little switch for direct monitoring. More equivalent to your ION USB recorder box would instead be the UFO202, which looks pretty much like the UCA202/222, but with switchable line-/phono-level and additional ground terminal, but without direct monitoring and digital output. Unlike your ION, none of the little Behringers sports a knob for input level control, though.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 17 Feb 2018 18:52

I went for the UCA-202/222 over the UFO-202 because IMO the phono preamp in my ARC SP-9 is better than whatever Behringer uses in the UFO-202.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 18 Feb 2018 02:27

Joe: That certainly makes sense, if one already owns a better phono stage (be it separate or integrated in a pre-amp/integrated amp/receiver/whatever...). But I'd assume that Lee hasn't bought a model with switchable line-/phono-level input for nothing, so it seemed to make sense to mention that Behringer not only offers the line-level-only UCA202/222, but also the UFO202.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Lee from Chitown

Post by Lee from Chitown » 25 Feb 2018 19:51

I wanted to give an update of what’s happened.
I picked up a Behringer 202. I needed to add a preamp(Pyle) with my Technics turntable.
It’s taken me a while to learn how to set up Audacity. Now I am practicing single songs off of albums.
The results are excellent. So much better than cds.
Now to learn how to do multiple tracks- albums.
Thank you all!
Lee

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 27 Feb 2018 01:25

IMO/E the easiest way to do entire albums is to record each side as one big file and then split it up into individual tracks. Use cut and paste/save in Audacity to do this. MP3 Tag comes in very handy when adding metadata. It works on all files except WAV. I suggest saving all files as FLAC.

Lee from Chitown

Post by Lee from Chitown » 27 Feb 2018 14:54

Excellent suggestions.
Which tutorial will I find instructions for cut and paste for Audacity?

Thank you,
Lee

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 28 Feb 2018 01:13

I never looked for or read a tutorial. I use standard windows cut and paste commands to cut and paste selections from Audacity to a temporary directory I specified when I set up Audacity.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 03 Aug 2019 17:10

Aware this is an old topic, however, it had me revisit an ion U Record MixMeister box. IIRC, computing power when purchased was not adequate to easily convert analog audio input to audio files..... :-k

Totally surprised when I plugged the unit in to find it was recognized by a more powerful computer and currently supported operating system =D> =D>

Bypassed the turntable input choosing the line as the preamp probably has a better phono stage than the U Record.

Conflicted on the version of Audacity to record on. I've become familiar with the controls of the old version, using the new version does not seem as "easy". Bad clicks are worked on individually (not many on LPs bought new).

Record the entire side, after it finishes, cut and delete noise / spacing between songs, add track names at the beginning of each song. Additional tag / information is entered during export, Audacity then breaks up the songs automatically in your file format of choice.

Good luck

Fred