the home of the turntable

Snake oil abounds... even with AC outlets

radio, tape, stands and accessories

Snake oil abounds... even with AC outlets

Postby JDJX » 19 Nov 2017 20:07

The vendor insists that this AC outlet, for only $65, will improve sound in many ways.. claiming your AC outlet is preventing the best sound.

I guess all the AC connections, relays etc, from the power station, to your house... to the AC outlets do not count in their snake oil scam....LOL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FURUTECH-FPX-C ... Sw3xJVVnzY
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Re: Snake oil abounds... even with AC outlets

Postby Spinner45 » 19 Nov 2017 21:01

Ya gotta love it.
For the sucker born every minute.

You see, these types prey on ignorance and stupidity, and hope someone bites.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby gofar99 » 19 Nov 2017 23:25

Hi, You can add the mega dollar power cords to the mix. Sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way I see it. Snake oil.
Good Listening, Bruce
DIY Custom Direct Drive,Jelco,AT33PTG/II,Hana EL
Empire 598,Origin Live,DynaVector Karat 23RS-MR
Sota,Jelco, Benz MC Gold,Grado Woodie
Transcriptor Saturn,Vestigial Arm,ADC XLM
gofar99
contributor

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 20 Nov 2017 00:13

gofar99 wrote:Hi, You can add the mega dollar power cords to the mix. Sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way I see it. Snake oil.

I always wanted to tame those nasty AC pulses with magic wires!
Perhaps Santa will have pity on me and stick some under my tree. :shock:
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby DL110luvr » 20 Nov 2017 09:42

Kinda like those things you stick in a bottle of wine to "age" it....!!! #-o
Umm.....sorry....Don't think it'll turn Thunderbird to "vintage" anytime soon!!!
Boone's Farm......maybe....????!!! :D
How about tying the AC cord in knots....to "trap out unwanted RF and other spurious emissions" (Don't laugh....this HAS been proffered as a "remedy" in the past!!)
DL110luvr

United States of America

Postby tckmet » 20 Nov 2017 13:44

Do you all remember imaging stones and wood stand offs for your gear? :lol: Ironic that I learned last night that Technics used a pulse power supply in my SP-15 to prevent hum induction and is more efficent they could have just used this magic A/C outlet instead. :roll: When I was a young man sailing the seven seas I never once saw any special plug/wire/cable for ship board military grade equipment or being used in the offshore oilfield industry likewise just that the devices, wiring, cabling, and the end device were manufactured to higher standards and more durable. If this was the case almost every military, industry, and hospital on this planet would probably be using these magic devices. There is a Hospital grade outlet colored orange but has no magic properties in regards to A/C sine waves just more durable. Do you all think this predatory greed just involves our hobby alone check out the automotive trade and it has even infiltrated the Bee Keeping industry and hobby. :( Got off topic a little though. :wink:
tckmet
contributor

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 20 Nov 2017 15:12

All the snake oil has a new partner in crime with the advent of the internet...

egg.jpg
egg.jpg (35.06 KiB) Viewed 308 times

egg2.jpg
egg2.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 308 times
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby 1200y3 » 20 Nov 2017 16:41

There are poor quality and high quality receptacles. But if you took the price of the standard AC receptacle and increased it by 10 times, it would still only be a quarter of the price (of their cheaper model).

Yeah, the internet has created a lot of fun for audiophiles, but once upon a time no one would argue when stuff like that was advertised in the esoteric magazines.
1200y3
long player
long player

Postby Spinner45 » 20 Nov 2017 17:59

All of these "fake" companies selling rediculous products need to be called out for their shady dealings.
Someone should post a list of all of them, perhaps send a copy to the Better Business Bureau and government consumers watchdog departments.
I imagine that list would be endless. :shock:
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 20 Nov 2017 18:37

Spinner45 wrote:All of these "fake" companies selling rediculous products need to be called out for their shady dealings.
Someone should post a list of all of them, perhaps send a copy to the Better Business Bureau and government consumers watchdog departments.
I imagine that list would be endless. :shock:

Contrary to popular belief, at least in the US, you can say just about anything you want in an ad.... as long as it's not illegal, or would cause someone some harm.

The one and only thing that keeps advertisers in line is the ever present threat of a consumer civil laws suit... even then, consumer law suits over false ads rarely happens.

So, it is always "caveat emptor"

BTW, when is the last time you saw an auto insurance advertisement on US TV where they did not blatantly imply that they like bad drivers? ;)
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby bigbadwolf » 20 Nov 2017 20:14

Excuse me but ac outlets do make a difference and they are not snake oil. I've replaced all of mine with hubbell 8200 hospital grade and my stereo sounds good.
Then I replaced my main stereo with the furutech fp-15 which is gold plated. The platings do make a difference in sound, gold has a warm sound,silver has a bright sound,and rhodium has a neutral to cool sound. You want to talk about snake oil we'll I think a vpi turntable that's $5000 is pure snake oil!
bigbadwolf
contributor

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 20 Nov 2017 20:38

bigbadwolf wrote:Excuse me but ac outlets do make a difference and they are not snake oil. I've replaced all of mine with hubbell 8200 hospital grade and my stereo sounds good.
Then I replaced my main stereo with the furutech fp-15 which is gold plated. The platings do make a difference in sound, gold has a warm sound,silver has a bright sound,and rhodium has a neutral to cool sound. You want to talk about snake oil we'll I think a vpi turntable that's $5000 is pure snake oil!

Soo the electrons flow many many miles to your house along streets and under roads, then into your house into the ring main via fuse board (many that look like a rats nest). Next they flow out the socket to the plugs and to your hifi. All this and you believe a few microns of plating on a plug changes the electricity? REALLY!! The only difference might be a few fractions of an ohm lower resistance and I mean fractions ie 110.5v or 110.499v and actually I doubt it would make anything like that difference.
The only way you could improve the power to your hifi would be an isolation transformer or running off an inverter via a charging battery. Most components though are built to resist minor mains issues.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby JDJX » 20 Nov 2017 21:38

cafe latte wrote:
bigbadwolf wrote:Excuse me but ac outlets do make a difference and they are not snake oil. I've replaced all of mine with hubbell 8200 hospital grade and my stereo sounds good.

Soo the electrons flow many many miles to your house along streets and under roads, then into your house into the ring main via fuse board (many that look like a rats nest). Next they flow out the socket to the plugs and to your hifi. All this and you believe a few microns of plating on a plug changes the electricity? REALLY!! The only difference might be a few fractions of an ohm lower resistance and I mean fractions ie 110.5v or 110.499v and actually I doubt it would make anything like that difference.
The only way you could improve the power to your hifi would be an isolation transformer or running off an inverter via a charging battery. Most components though are built to resist minor mains issues.
Chris

Yeah, exactly. =D> =D>

BTW, audiophiles can be a strange lot at times...
Often, if they are told that something makes the sound better, they will convince themselves that it actually does, even when it does not make any difference at all.

The placebo effect is alive and well in audio world.
This is what all sellers of audio snake oil rely on.
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby LD100 » 23 Nov 2017 09:27

tckmet wrote: There is a Hospital grade outlet colored orange but has no magic properties in regards to A/C sine waves just more durable.

Actually, the primary reason to use a hospital-grade receptacle in ERs and patients rooms, is to ensure that a receptacle with a greater contact tension is provided to minimize possibilities that an attachment plug supplying medical or life support equipment may be disconnected because the plug slipped out or was accidentally pulled out of the receptacle.

Some models of hospital grade receptacles are certified for use around oxygen, due to the use of contacts that minimize the chance of sparking.

Durability is a added bonus. =D>

Indeed, they have no magic powers over sine waves. :o
LD100

United States of America

Postby 1200y3 » 24 Nov 2017 07:50

The average house receptacle is about $2. When having to work with audio signals that an amplifier's power supply deals with, yes, sound quality can be at stake. Most plugs only get a few millimeters of surface contact, so I won't blame anyone if they feel that they hear a difference in a switch to upgraded plugs. But this is just "it". Upgrading to a quality receptacle should cost under $10. Now if you want to talk about receptacles for extension cords...

So my advice in dealing with ludicrous advertisements (like expensive tubes #-o ) is to shop around, and realize that there is some truth to the ad. You will be surprised how wide the selection can be.
1200y3
long player
long player

Next

Return to Other Stuff