J-Corder Record Clamp Warning!

radio, tape, stands and accessories
ChrisfromRI
United States of America

J-Corder Record Clamp Warning!

Post by ChrisfromRI » 06 Aug 2019 06:29

I bought this overpriced J-Corder Record Clamp brand new from J-Corder (Jeff Jacobs' company in Washington State, which seems to be better known for tape recorder supplies) for $150. I thought it looked nicely machined out of heavy solid brass, and would work well with one of my turntables that has a lot of brass parts on it:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/481 ... 74c1_z.jpgBrass Clamp wit Chrisfromri Felt fix by c f, on Flickr

Unfortunately, it did not come with the felt bottom as shown. That was something I had to attach myself within the skinny rim machined into the brass base of the clamp to retain a rubber or felt bottom (otherwise only the skinny rim around its edge would contact the record label. Well, it turns out that was the least of my problems with this clamp.

Now it is complete junk because its inner spindle clamp broke after the fatigue of using it for two months.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/484 ... a98a_z.jpgBrass Spindle Clamp by c f, on Flickr

I immediately contacted J-Corder asking to BUY a replacement inner spindle clamp, not even asking for a warranty replacement. They replied: "Sorry we do not sell replacement parts for this piece." Shame they didn't complete the sentence: Sorry we do not sell replacement parts for this piece of junk.

Buyer Beware when it comes to buying anything from J-Corder! They have very poor customer support for their overpriced products!!

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: J-Corder Record Clamp Warning!

Post by JDJX » 08 Aug 2019 22:23

Personally, I'm not a believer in record weights or clamps, although they might be useful with some warped LPs.

However, $150 for a weight? That gets a big WTF?

You can just get an inexpensive hockey puck . Drill a hole for the spindle. The, you can drill - a few holes on the top to insert some lead for the added weight that you want. i
I might not be as pretty as a $150 one but, you are saving about $150. :)

d4xycrq

Post by d4xycrq » 08 Aug 2019 23:00

Perhaps a silly question - does the record clamp well and truly need a clamp? Would not the weight of the "piece" do the intended trick?

I have brass stock and a metal lathe... But that brass is in a bigger than typical diameter.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 09 Aug 2019 01:37

These aren't a whole lot more dosh than a hockey puck.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GH-acoustics-r ... SwjtZbwECu

It's a weight not a clamp. Mine has been trouble free.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 09 Aug 2019 05:00

My Oracle has a screw-down clamp and records sound a lot better with the clamp on it than not. My Goldmund was designed for use with a clamp and also sounds better with a clamp than without. They also each have their own dedicated clamps.

Both of those turntables have acrylic/plastic/metacrylic for their platters/mats. The clamps also flatten most warped records and are a lot less fussy than competing vacuum platter designs such as the SOTA, Micro Seiki, and Luxman. Using just a heavy weight may be as effective, but also may affect the main bearing.

Whether a record clamp works for you I believe has more to do with the specific record to platter interface than generalizations. I think they probably don't make a difference with certain setups, yet do with others. This is the same discussion with record mats, as some people can't hear a difference on their setup while others hear differences between mats.

This particular clamp was being used on a couple of my other turntables, including one that I built myself using a slightly concave acrylic platter. I could hear the difference with a clamp. Whether a hockey puck is as effective I don't know, maybe it is and maybe not. My hunch is not.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 09 Aug 2019 07:16

d4xycrq wrote:
08 Aug 2019 23:00
Perhaps a silly question - does the record clamp well and truly need a clamp? Would not the weight of the "piece" do the intended trick?

I have brass stock and a metal lathe... But that brass is in a bigger than typical diameter.
The idea is to couple the record to the mat and to reduce warps. A weight does it by its weight, a clamp by being clamped. Therefore a clamp can be lighter than a weight and exert fewer load on the platter bearing.

Regarding the J-Corder they better made this part of aluminium, which is more flexible than brass and should last longer.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 12 Aug 2019 13:30

BTW here is a past thread about weights etc... :)

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 1355&hilit