Keeping my Pink Triangle Export

light fantastic
silly user naim

Keeping my Pink Triangle Export

Post by silly user naim » 27 Jul 2017 12:10

As you can see, I've not asked many questions, but am I'm in a quandary about what to do next. I'll try to be brief.
I've had the Export / Tabriz / Denon 304 for at least 20 years. I've not used it much recently as the floor where it's now positioned is too springy and I've been listening to CDs. Now I want to listen to a fairly healthy vinyl collection, about 12 feet in total.
I've bought a good sturdy shelf and am about to get the old girl working properly again and contemplating upgrades.

But, I've recently been looking at other decks (hope she's not listening) and wondering if they'd be a better idea. Obviously, Linn LP12s are going for all sorts of money, but sub £900 are available on eBay etc. I'd be looking at a Hercules PS, Ekos arm or similar, keep my cart or try whatever comes with it.
I know very little about Linn LP12s, but one thing attracts me is the upgrade path available compared to the PT. I can't see many affordable, easily available (in South East), power supply upgrades for the PT - does anyone have any ideas about that? For example, Funk Firm are asking for about £540 for a DC motor upgrade - is it worth the money? I have no doubt it'll sound great as their track record is good, but I have no idea how it'll compare to a fairly bog standard LP12. It seems quite reasonable upgrade cost compared to others and is not too far from me.

Also tempted by the FF FXR or Audiomod arm which might be a better improvement than the power supply? The Tabriz is okay but not the greatest.

Does anyone here think I should move to a Linn or should I stick to Export, add arm and / or power supply?
If so, any recommendations?

I remember auditioning the LP12 when I bought the PT, years ago! At the time I didn't think it was as good, it was less lively, less 'musical' and not such an amazing soundstage as the PT, but I have no idea which spec LP12 I've heard.

It's all going through now vintage classic Naim 72/140 Hi Cap, PMC FB1 speakers. I'm also thinking of upgrading the amps to a Uniti Star at some point when cash available.

It's hard to know what to do as it's impossible to audition and compare eBay equipment at home, so I thought I'd ask experts.

abril
long player
long player
England

Re: Keeping my Pink Triangle Export

Post by abril » 27 Jul 2017 15:08

Replace a PT with a LP12 ------never. :evil:
If the PSU on your Export is dodgy then go DC-----and not one of those DC motor replacement kits that are commercially available from the other place :wink:
PSU on my LPT went kaput and replaced it with
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=89128
Worth every penny and a lot more :D
Absolutely nothing wrong with Tabriz/304
Also have a PT1/Mission 774 original/DL304 :D

P700DEE
England

Post by P700DEE » 28 Jul 2017 16:24

+1 Replace a PT with a LP12 ------never. :evil:
The whole ethos is different and as you chose a Pink then an LP12 can never be an upgrade. The cost of going Linn is astronomical and your money would be best spent elsewhere. I'd be keeping the Pink standard and looking at the rest. Naim kit also has it's own sound and their upgrade path is also long and expensive. Do you love your speakers? You don't say what you think could be better, do you just fancy a change. I am a member of the New Ash Green Hi-fi club based in the south east, I think the London club still meets occasionally. Going to one of these and hearing other peoples set up gives you a good idea of what there is out there and what might work for you.

silly user naim

Post by silly user naim » 31 Jul 2017 20:01

Thanks for the replies, I've been at a muddy Damp Festival so couldn't see the feedback.

I may well go with Funk Firms DC upgrade as it's not horrendously expensive and I'm sure will sound good. I'm expecting a little look at lubricating the bearing will Help too.
The PSU is not necessarily the dodgy bit of my Export, just never confident of build quality. Though, all my PT gear works, even the super hot Ordinal outlived the Teac drive which looked like it was built like a tank.

I'm sure my speakers could do with an upgrade at some point. I just need to be careful on where I place the cash. I think a Naim NAP 250 would also be a good upgrade to get the most out of the PMCs.
I've not listened to the Uniti Star yet, so still need to see if that's the best way to go in the amp area. That would mean off loading my much loved olive Naim amp set up to fund the Uniti, that's another story.

abril
long player
long player
England

Post by abril » 01 Aug 2017 07:47

Just thought :idea:
What is your armboard material ,MDF,Ally or what?

jy3

Post by jy3 » 04 Aug 2017 15:18

Why do you want to upgrade your Export? I sold my LP12 (quite a number of upgrades) and purchased a PTtoo and a complete NVA system and still had change. I used Naim amps before and if you must stick with them, 135's are well worth the extra over a 250. I would never go back to Linn and Naim.

kitemap

Post by kitemap » 07 Aug 2017 15:11

abril wrote:Replace a PT with a LP12 ------never. :evil:
Hello,

I assume you're still using the PT1 I sold you 9 years ago?
How's it running?
Have you mod'ed it at all?

Mine's been out of action for the last three months and I'm looking forward to setting it up again :D

David

abril
long player
long player
England

Post by abril » 07 Aug 2017 16:32

Hi/gamarjoba David

Yep I still have it :D
Now fitted with an aramid armboard with a Mission 774 original/Denon 304,a regulated 12V DC supply with all new caps on the PSU and a 6mm acrylic base.
Runs perfectly.
Can send shivers down my spine :wink:
Unfortunately not very often at the moment c'os it's in the other place and have not been able to get back for months so making do with the DC'd LPT/Nima #-o

Problem with yours?
Les

kitemap

Post by kitemap » 07 Aug 2017 16:43

abril wrote:Hi/gamarjoba David

Yep I still have it :D
Now fitted with an aramid armboard with a Mission 774 original/Denon 304,a regulated 12V DC supply with all new caps on the PSU and a 6mm acrylic base.
Runs perfectly.
Can send shivers down my spine :wink:
Unfortunately not very often at the moment c'os it's in the other place and have not been able to get back for months so making do with the DC'd LPT/Nima #-o

Problem with yours?
Les
Hi Les, not particularly. The old original power supply gave up the ghost a couple of years ago and as a temporary measure I bought a similar piece of junk. I've just moved and the reason I've not set it up yet is that if I do I'll just stick with it as it is. My plan is to give it a good service and get a decent power supply.
I've been making do with a RPi/Tidal for my source, which is really rather good but it's just not the same.

D