the home of the turntable

Pink Triangle PT1 - motor type

light fantastic

Pink Triangle PT1 - motor type

Postby wobgti » 27 Feb 2017 13:46

I have an old Pink Triangle PT1 turntable. I have just started to modified it to a mini anni. The turntable has got the old type motor, so I would like to change it to an Escap motor.

Could somebody Help me where can I get an Escape motor? In which type?

Thanks in advance.
wobgti

Re: Pink Triangle PT1 - motor type

Postby wobgti » 06 Mar 2017 09:45

Could somebody offers me such type of DC motor which is good and it does as an escap motor!?

Thanks!
wobgti

Postby backtotheblack » 06 Mar 2017 19:58

TBH the price of a new motor with a tacho on the bottom from escap would be the price of a second hand PT1.

what you can do however is get yourself a pulley puller and remove the tacho from the old motor then buy a new motor with extended bottom shaft and retro fit the tacho to the new motor. its delicate work though. as long as the shaft diameter is the same on the new motor. does the new motor really have to be an escap?

you might also find that your motor controller is needing some new components, electrical circuit board components have a finite life, for instance caps are around 2000hrs after which they start to degrade then you have your resistors and looking at the PT1 controller it looks like carbon ones were used which by now will be about as accurate as a jelly yard stick.
once you have repopulated the board with new components you then need to 'tune' the new motor into it, its not just a case of twiddling the 33/45 knobs either.

can i ask why you want to change the motor?
backtotheblack

Scotland

Postby wobgti » 07 Mar 2017 14:37

I have started to modify my PT1 turntable to a Mini Anni.
There is an old FG-SERVO DC-3V motor in my turntable at the moment.
It is rather an old, noisy motor. I think that if I disarticulate it completely and modify it - included the external speed controller and the external power supply - it would be worth to change the motor.
There will be a new subshassis anyway...

Is the FG SERVO motor changeable to a premotec or any other more modern DC motor?
What do you think? Do I need a new speed controller in any cases?

Many thanks!
wobgti

Postby Capt Zach » 07 Mar 2017 15:40

You are correct, changing to a modern motor will require a new power supply.

I don't think you necessarily have to change the FG servo motor.

You could take the motor apart and try restoring it if its noisy. The same type of motor was used in Bang and Olufson tables, and certain Garrards, so you could also obtain one cheaply from one of them, swapping the pulley, if you want an easy replacement.

http://beolover.blogspot.com/2016/02/be ... motor.html

Regards
Capt Zach

Postby backtotheblack » 07 Mar 2017 19:14

we wont know what type of encoder was on the motors until someone can take the motor apart. i'm more inclined to say geartooth rotary as they were cheaper.

those beogram motors were also used in real to real and many other TT tables from Japan such as Technics belt drives.

i have often wondered just how good a quartz locked motor and driver circuit from a technics TT would work with a PT. Pink Triangle was called radical back in the day for using DC motors when in fact people like technics and others had been using them for years.

Arthur worked out a bedroom at first when he was skint so cost of parts would have been a major influence in the design and he never used off the shelf parts easily obtainable from Japan. its a miracle Arthur actually built the first ones for £300.

lets look at how a PT1 was actually constructed:
special profiled real wood plinth
rubber feet
hardboard baseboard
space age Aerolam sub chassis
custom inverted main bearing
springs
custom made adjusters
custom made brass adjuster screws
steel profiled U T-section
Steel profiled U arm board
lead block
Acrylic platter
fancy motor and spindle
motor control circuitry
rubber belt
power supply
hand made acrylic lid
lid hinges
assorted screws and glue
glass top plate (try making one of those)

all of that before you actually start adding in man hours, tools, packaging, running costs and marketing. all for £300 retail back then, bet Arthur was lucky to make £50 a table.
backtotheblack

Scotland

Postby wobgti » 14 Mar 2017 11:06

Thanks for your Help and your advices.
wobgti

Postby limono » 29 Apr 2017 14:59

To put things in perspective the Mini Cooper costed in that time (70's) around 600 GBP and Range Rover 2000 Gbp. 300 GBP was a lot of money for TT and knowing the British ingenuity I doubt Arthur paid for all the parts more than 100 . What is the difference between tables from the past and today? mainly better motors and speed controllers . In the case of cheap tables the machining tolerances are better but cheap tables selling in the range of 1000 have nothing in term of sonic value except the sexy look.
limono

Return to Pink Triangle / Funk Firm