the home of the turntable

PT TOO

light fantastic

PT TOO

Postby pink+lemon7 » 01 Jan 2017 14:21

Hi, recently bought a beautiful PT TOO as an upgrade to my existing LPT that I bought second hand back in the early nineties, having upgraded the turntable to GTi by Pink Triangle. This has given stirling service apart from a lightning strike. As you probably are aware { I wasn't at the time } the board is effectively powered at all times unless you pull the mains plug out! So the board suffered some damage. To cut a long story short a good friend of mine Chris repaired the board and I was back up and running again. Ok, so the PT TOO I purchased has a Serial Number of 10285. This is shown on a sticker not written on the old sticker underneath typed out..not by hand on my old LPT. So can anybody shed any light on how old my PT TOO is?
Will be hopefully putting some pics up of my old LPT and the 'new' PT TOO sometime soon. The LPT will be going on ebay more likely in the new year. Not sure when but it will have to go.
Cheers,

Jon.
pink+lemon7

United Kingdom

Re: PT TOO

Postby tim_bissell » 02 Jan 2017 14:26

I'm not sure if you can get much more accurate than saying 1987 onwards; my guess is that the last three digits are a a build count within a year, and the first one or two digits are the year post 1980, so a 2xxx was a 1982 build, 1985 is 5xxx (certainly the one I bought new in 1985 was 50xx) so I would guess yours may be a 1989/1990 build. I think they stopped building TOOs not long after 1990, after the introduction of the cheaper Export and then the new top of the line Anniversary in late 1989/early 1990.

It is just a guess, though!

- Tim
tim_bissell
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby pink+lemon7 » 02 Jan 2017 19:37

Hi Tim,
Much appreciated, going to be taking a few pics of my LPT in the next few days before sorting out the PT TOO with a friend of mine. Only thing I'm concerned about is getting my arm which is a RB300 cardas wired to balance correctly as the previous owner of the PT TOO had an SME 309 fitted. There are a few lead weights, I suppose you would call them counter weights fitted under the arm board, so obviously I'm going to have to change the weights due to the difference between the two arms / cartridge etc. Could be fun!!

Once again thank you for the information. And Happy New Year!

Regards,

Jon Leonard.
pink+lemon7

United Kingdom

Postby Alex M » 03 Jan 2017 09:30

My TOO was built at the end of 1989 and has serial number 10628. Don't know if that challenges Tim's hypothesis!

I have an armboard specifically built for the RB300 that was originally mounted on my deck, with the lead weight under it to balance out the subchassis with this arm. I am happy to send this to you gratis if you PM me your address.

Alex
Alex M
contributor

Postby P700DEE » 03 Jan 2017 17:33

Sorry but Tim's hypothesis does not stand up.
PT Too were not available until at least 85 prior to that was just the Pink Triangle. Mine is s/n 2630 and it was bought after 1982, from memory late 83 would be about right.
P700DEE

United Kingdom

Postby tim_bissell » 02 Apr 2017 23:35

Sorry, I missed this one... the TOO appeared around '86, So if yours was bought '82/83 then it would have been a PT1, matching my guesswork. PT offered an upgrade package from PT1 to PT2, so if yours is now a PT Too it will have been upgraded at some point in its life.
tim_bissell
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby P700DEE » 03 Apr 2017 10:23

tim_bissell wrote:Sorry, I missed this one... the TOO appeared around '86, So if yours was bought '82/83 then it would have been a PT1, matching my guesswork. PT offered an upgrade package from PT1 to PT2, so if yours is now a PT Too it will have been upgraded at some point in its life.

Yes as described I bought a PT1 and had the upgrade to PTTOO. Worked , great , mainly backwards lol. I was even lent the infamous Black PTTOO loaned to the Flat Response to review. No surprise that one ran backwards too.
P700DEE

United Kingdom

Return to Pink Triangle / Funk Firm