Pink Triangle One - new owner!

light fantastic
sailinshoes

Pink Triangle One - new owner!

Post by sailinshoes » 16 Nov 2016 21:51

Hello Chaps,

Thought I would introduce myself to the Pink Triangle fraternity on Vinyl Engine. Looking through a number of posts I can see that there is a wealth of information available. I have recently stepped of the LP12 treadmill (albeit at an early stage) and invested in a mint PT1. It came with a Syrinx LE1 and hadn't really been used very much. I found it on here- it had been posted by a guy name Tony. I went to see him and he was a really nice fella- selling the deck for a friend of his who preferred to use his Heybrook than the PT1. Anyway, the PT1 is mint. I took it to Doug Brady in Warrington and Andy (who used to work for Pink) serviced it for me. I bought a carbon fibre composite arm board from True Point- Charlie was also very helpful. Andy mounted my old Nima arm onto the deck and, having replace capacitors etc it was ready. It has the original wall wart power supply.
Right so here goes, as with so many posts from new members this might sound a bit lazy but I have done some research- honest! I want to get the most out of the deck. It has already shown a clean pair of heels to the LP12 and I have put it up for sale. I am interested in getting the deck as close to anniversary performance as I can. Can you guys assist with a bit of a route map towards that and point out any pit falls I might encounter along the way?

Cloudbase

Re: Pink Triangle One - new owner!

Post by Cloudbase » 23 Nov 2016 22:18

Hello and nice to see another PT owner on vinyl engine. I sold a Michell Gyrodec before going to PT.
I have a couple of Pink Triangle turntables and one is the Anniversary. I hope someone can give you useful advice on your request. Tim Bissell on here has modded a number of PT tables using the vector system I believe so that may be a way forward.
At the very least I should consider upgrading the wall wart to a better psu for the motor. Assume its the dc motor if its a PT1 you bought?
Good luck
.. Alan

sailinshoes

Post by sailinshoes » 25 Nov 2016 18:39

Thanks for the reply. I do have the original wall wart power supply which has been serviced. I must say that my only gripe is with a slight lack of speed stability which I notice on long, decaying notes on piano or guitar. I see that other members have gone down the route of replacing the original wall wart in order to combat this with varying degrees of success. As it is a relatively cheap mod I could always give it a try. I did have a problem with the power disconnecting which resulted in a very noticeable dip in speed. I think I cured this by turning everything off and giving the wall wart jack a good wiggle. Anyone got a good suggestion for a replacement power supply? The other option for a slight speed issue is to vector the deck- I like that idea and would fancy doing some other modifications to emulate the anniversary. Anyway, the pt1 has made me very happy.

Cloudbase

Post by Cloudbase » 26 Nov 2016 12:14

This link may be of interest to you.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=76574

If I have understood the thread :-) of this link correctly it seems you use the fixed o/p from the power supply then the slower speed (33.3) drops the voltage using the onboard circuit inside the deck, assume this is what ur doing with your wallwart?
The Anniversary psu is a bit different in the sense it sends 2 different voltages
1.07 and 1.38v respectively to the motor.
If you can accurately measure what actually reaches the motor inside ur deck for 33/45 then this is good info to have for later on.

... Alan

sailinshoes

Post by sailinshoes » 26 Nov 2016 21:42

Cloud base, thanks for the link- very interesting and I think I will explore that route sooner rather than later. I was listening to a k Jarrett lp is evening and the wow on the piano is unacceptably bad. The spindle hole is centred correctly etc. Anyway, thanks again and I'll post my findings when I give it a go.

P700DEE
England

Post by P700DEE » 27 Nov 2016 10:04

I was lucky enough to visit the Imperial College Hi-Fi group back in about 1984 when Arthur took a Pink in with Subjective Audio for a demonstration night. In the audience was a soon to be well known figure of Touraj Moghaddam (Roksan designer) who was very critical of the Pink and complained of speed instability on Piano. Discussions continued after the meeting and it was noticeable that when the PT TOO was introduced that the motor position had been changed to give better speed stability :wink:
Vectoring is probably better still, however moving the motor to the PT TOO/Anni position may also help. Dump the Wal-wart asap and get a better 9volt supply

pcourtney

Post by pcourtney » 28 Nov 2016 21:35

you could also speak to Charlie again at True Point Audio and ask him about the rechargeable LiFePO4 battery upgrade he did for my PT1 ( Serial no 80 ) , we have managed to install the battery and the charger inside the PT1 and it completely does away with the Wal-wart PSU altogether, and now just powers the DC motor on battery power alone - shame Arthur did not do that in the beginning, but I guess it would have been really too radical back in 1980

http://www.true-point.audio/tpa-pink-tr ... arings.htm