PT One motor identification

light fantastic
TSwede

Re: PT One motor identification

Post by TSwede » 20 Oct 2016 18:56

Oh now I'm confused!

I've been working on the premise that the centre of the armboard hole to the centre of the spindle is 222mm for my RB300 - yet I have just read here (see post by Seb) that it is 219.5

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=11134&hilit=top+pl ... e&start=15

however using Seb's Stevenson ARC protractor I was able to set up perfectly at 222.. please help me - I feel faint!!

TSwede

Post by TSwede » 20 Oct 2016 23:29

It's ok - I have the answer! viewtopic.php?t=294&highlight=rb300+mounting+distance
I've drilled the hole for 222 with some space around it - a couple of mil - I was able to set up to the Stevenson protractor (Seb's) with no errors so I imagine I have varied my effective length with the cartridge position.. sounds ace anyways!! I haven't tried it the Baerwald way at 219.5 but could do because there is a bit of space round the mounting hole, however for now I will stick with what I've got - next time I do any work I will compare both ways and see if I can detect any change.. I suspect not

pcourtney

Post by pcourtney » 28 Nov 2016 20:20

TSwede wrote:On an aside I wonder where the earliest known PT is?? Might put a post on if it's not already been done
I own serial no 80, it's just been serviced by Charlie Melling and the DC motor is going to be battery driven, using a new 9.9v LiFePO4 battery :-)

however, you can see on the True Point Audio website there is a photo and a little potted history of serial No 2 and then integrated into serial no 29 for a chap named Geoff

http://www.true-point.audio/tpa-pink-tr ... istory.htm

Geoff Hawkins (March 2015) says:

Above are some pictures of my original Pink Triangle. It was the first commercial sale of a PT deck, and was purchased from HiFi Connections in Beckenham in January 1981. It was ordered in late 1980.

My girlfriend and I went to HiFi Connections to audition some decks. We listened to a Thorens TD160s, and a small Ariston (I believe, but could be wrong). Both were around the same price (£150-£160). I remember asking what sonic gains were to be had if I spent more money on the more expensive Ariston. They told me that they didn't have one, but did have a new deck called a Pink Triangle priced at £200. Not only did it look fantastic but on first listen it was magic. We had been listening to one LP of a group whose name escapes me, and we both found them boring. As soon as the Pink was used, even that LP sounded good. I cannot remember which arm it had.

It was to have had silver mirror glass as the top plate, but I was asked if I wanted the black mirror finish for an extra £10. The white slide switch controlled the on/off and speed 33/45. The deck was rebuilt early on by Arthur Khoubesserian when the suspension adjustment failed. He used chassis no. 029 for the rebuild (mine was chassis no. 002 and originally matt black). He also changed the spindle bearing for the jewelled version; the original was bronze.

Much later, the motor went wrong and Pink Triangle Projects rebuilt the deck with an off-board power supply and an AC motor. The motor position was changed to the front left side. It was originally at the back right. The motor has now failed and I am going to have my PT rebuilt with a Funk Firm VX kit later in the year (when I can afford it!).

I have located the original, non-jewelled bearing unit. It is a much tighter fit than the jewelled one on the deck. (see below)

amazing stuff

Charlie is one of the very few who knows his bearings :-)

http://www.true-point.audio/tpa-pink-tr ... arings.htm

cheers
Peter

TSwede

Post by TSwede » 28 Nov 2016 21:02

This is great - it seems so reassuring that not everything in the past becomes lost.. I find it hard to explain but it makes me feel good, the link to the past. I spoke to Arthur himself the other day - as small matter of a pulley I need.. it's a funny feeling after reading about the fabled early PT stuff all these years.. I have no desire to ever change my turntable no matter what else changes in life...

pcourtney

Post by pcourtney » 29 Nov 2016 13:29

yes it is good to keep PT1's and Anni's working and playing hard :-)

they really are great TT's

Tony, are you saying that all you now need is the pulley from Arthur and you are playing vinyl again ??

what serial number is your PT ?

TSwede

Post by TSwede » 29 Nov 2016 15:11

HI - Thanks for the reply - the serial number is 5108

However the pulley is not for the original Escap motor from this turntable - I am in the process of replacing it with a Premotec (147875 ALLIED MOTION PREMOTEC 9904-120-18105 DC Motor, Coreless, 2.9 W, 3840 rpm) - which I think has a 3mm spindle...

It is the case that the absence of a pulley is keeping me from my vinyl records.. although I haven't actually mounted the new motor yet - I am going to fashion something together as soon as I get the pulley and can measure how high it sits... I'm not going to do anything too elaborate - I haven't the tools to do a mini-anni conversion or anything like that - it is just a PSU/Drive motor update....

Definitely missing the vinyl evenings - rare as they are these days.....!

Thanks

Tony