Lubrication

light fantastic
Armbored
Great Britain

Lubrication

Post by Armbored » 18 Aug 2016 17:03

Hi all,
I have both an LPT and a PT1, but have never known what was the best oil for the bearing in either of them. I know they are completely different bearing designs, the PT1 being inverted, so may I assume that a thicker oil may be best in this case for retention? Can someone help me here please and advise where I can find the needful?

Thanks in advance!

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Re: Lubrication

Post by tim_bissell » 24 Aug 2016 20:31

For the LPT and its 'normal' bearing I would probably go with the oil kit from Audio Origami.

I have used the same oil on my PT bearings; you only need a couple of drops on the jewel and a smear down the side, and it seems to be the same viscosity as my original PT oil. From the Funk Firm I got a dark thixotropic grease in a syringe, which I also use on my PT bearings - I can't say I have any particular preference, but normal oil gets a bit messy if you use too much!

-- Tim

Armbored
Great Britain

Post by Armbored » 24 Aug 2016 21:17

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much for your thoughts, I will try to get hold of that FF grease you mention. and the Audio Origami oil. I have been using Linn's Mobil Velocite No 6 oil on the LPT, but it's time for a clean out and that's mainly why I was asking.

Cheers,
Mike

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 30 Aug 2016 08:57

The original lubricant supplied with early PT's was molybdenum disulphate based. For the latest funk bearings 10w40 engine oil is fine - although my bearing was so tightly machined that the hydraulic resistance meant I failed to seat the bearing on the ball first time.

For the original bearings - then it needs a reasonable viscosity or you end up with a messy puddle on the sub-chassis.

In truth, having replaced my bearing, and believed it "as new" the originals probably tend to wear more than you realise until you put a new one in.

cgm18

Post by cgm18 » 30 Aug 2016 18:03

Can 2nd what Tim has said about the oil from AO, have used the thicker oil with my export their thinner oil with my linn. The kit has all you need to clean out the old oil & replace with new clean virgin oil.

deviral

Post by deviral » 24 Sep 2016 00:11

A bit off the wall I guess but I've been using a Swiss watch oil (Moebius Synth HP1300) as its purpose / design is for use with jewelled / high pressure clock bearings. It's not cheap and is probably too exotic as oil goes but it seems to work very well and it's always present on the sapphire cup whenever I've lifted the bearing. Fortunately you don't need to use much so the little vial still hasn't run out yet, thank goodness!